Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Are Tropical Carnival High C Treats okay for guinea pigs

imaanzg

Cavy Slave
I recently ran out of vitamic c tablets, and told my dad to get them after work. I showed him the picture and where he could get them from. Apparently "There was too much traffic in that area," so my dad got these two vitamin c treats from PetSmart. One of them were yogurt drops, so I told him to return them. The other ones, though, I haven't ever seen before. The ingredients are dried cranberries, dried kiwi, dried rose hips, dried orange slices, suger (doesn't say how much), and sulfur dioxide. I have no idea whether sulfur dioxide is okay for guinea pigs or not.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sulfur dioxide is a preservative. Because of the sugar, I wouldn't give them on a regular basis. If you're feeding fresh veggies, particularly bell pepper, they'll be ok until you can get some suitable tablets.

hatley1717

Cavy Slave
I get vitamin C drops that go in their water bottle, you can also put 1-2 drops in their food if they don't like the taste of the water. I give it to Molly and Annabelle every other water bottle fill. Molly likes it, and I have always had good success with it. It lasts a long time and its only like $7 per bottle....its made by Vita-Drops

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@hatley1717, vitamin C in the water bottle is useless unless your water bottle is totally opaque. Vitamin C degrades very quickly when exposed to light, so shortly after you add that vitamin C to the water bottle, all you've got in there is water. The only way to give vitamin C effectively in a liquid form is to sprinkle it on the food.

hatley1717

Cavy Slave
Yes they have blue water bottles. And i put 2 drops per ounce of water, or 2-3 drops in a full bowl of food. Works good.

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I get vitamin C drops that go in their water bottle, you can also put 1-2 drops in their food if they don't like the taste of the water. I give it to Molly and Annabelle every other water bottle fill. Molly likes it, and I have always had good success with it. It lasts a long time and its only like $7 per bottle....its made by Vita-Drops

Vitamin c drops will dissolve quickly in the water and just make it taste funny rather than help your pig.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@hatley1717, then please make sure when you're recommending that vitamin C be placed in the water bottle that you explain that the water bottle must not admit any light. That's a crucial piece of information you're omitting from your posts. People who put vitamin C in a clear water bottle are giving their pigs no vitamin C at all.

hatley1717

Cavy Slave
Vitamin c drops will dissolve quickly in the water and just make it taste funny rather than help your pig.

I have the non-see-through blue water bottles, so they don't let light in. You can put it in their food too if you prefer.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes they have blue water bottles. And i put 2 drops per ounce of water, or 2-3 drops in a full bowl of food. Works good.

Yes but @bpatter's point was that it's useless in water and can do more harm than good because some pigs will stop drinking the water.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't feed those to your pigs.
Have you tried making an online purchase instead?
I rarely if ever even bother to go to stores anymore. I just order the exact thing I need online.

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
I give my Marshmallow multivitamin in his food because I found he doesn't like it in his water bottle. I also noticed he doesn't like those yogurt drops but I don't know why... is the pure vitamin c drops better than the multivitamin for them?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I give my Marshmallow multivitamin in his food because I found he doesn't like it in his water bottle. I also noticed he doesn't like those yogurt drops but I don't know why... is the pure vitamin c drops better than the multivitamin for them?

I guess your Marshmallow knows what's good for him. They don't need multivitamins, and some vitamins are actually bad for them if they overdose. I would say stop giving him the multivitamin drops and switch to pure vitamin C, and don't put it in the water bottle even if he did like it. Vitamin C becomes useless very quickly when it's in the light, so it's pointless to add it to his water. The yogurt drops are very bad for them, being extremely high in sugar and they have milk. Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and can't digest sugar easily, so yogurt drops are no good.

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
I guess your Marshmallow knows what's good for him. They don't need multivitamins, and some vitamins are actually bad for them if they overdose. I would say stop giving him the multivitamin drops and switch to pure vitamin C, and don't put it in the water bottle even if he did like it. Vitamin C becomes useless very quickly when it's in the light, so it's pointless to add it to his water. The yogurt drops are very bad for them, being extremely high in sugar and they have milk. Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and can't digest sugar easily, so yogurt drops are no good.
Thanks! He's my first guinea pig so I'm learning so much from him. I wonder why they make things for these guys that are no good for them... :-/

Also, I found that he doesn't eat his pellets unless it has the multivitamin on it. Will he still do that with the vitamin C?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.