Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is there such a thing as too big of a cage?

Robert Schuman

Cavy Slave
I recently got one then two pigs. When I move into a larger place is using a second bedroom as there cage going to be to large?

lissie

Cavy Slave
There is no such thing as too big of a cage. They'll enjoy every square inch of it. Some guinea pigs might take some time to get used to big open space. Give them lots of things to run through and hide under.

Are you giving them the whole room?

Robert Schuman

Cavy Slave
I am thinking half the room with saw horses under neath of a plywood base then build the cages on that

Fay

Cavy Slave
Half a room sounds great! And yes, there's no such thing as too much space. You can check the recommended size requirements on the 'Main' tab at the top but it sounds like you will be far exceeding that... depending on how big your spare room is. Also, have a look at the 'Gallery' at the top, there are tons of great ideas there for non C&C cages and even some pictures of entire rooms that people dedicated to their pigs. If you are building a super large C&C style cage on top of a custom 'table' an inverted U shape that hugs the wall and is 2 or 3 grids wide will probably work best because it will make it easier to clean if you can reach the back, rather than if it were 4+ grids across. Good luck and I'd love to see pictures of the cage once you finish! Sounds like your pigs will be spoiled :eek:

lissie

Cavy Slave
This is my most favorite piggy room. I wish I had a spare bedroom.
(broken link removed)

Fay

Cavy Slave
@lissie Yes! that's the cage I vaguely remembered seeing :D ... it's awesome!

Robert Schuman

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the replies. My two boys will be happy. Hempster budz and tupac ��

wombats

Cavy Slave
Oh wowzas, I just saw your current cage picture on the cage thread and was thinking "huh that's a nifty makeshift idea, I wonder when they'll be making a bigger cage...maybe a standard 2x4 or 2x5 for two pigs, I mean that's fairly normal---oh wait nope just HALF AN ENTIRE ROOM"

I mean WOWzas that is absolutely positively fantastic! Thinking about how big a 2x4 is (the prefered size for 2 sows), I have a very small room yet it I could easily fit that in. So comparing that to half of a room, even a smaller room like mine, that is absolute heaven for two guinea pigs, they're going to love it! Make sure you post pictures when you're done, I'd love to see it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.