Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Help me get my piggies back inside!

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
I already have a cage built that is the same as a 2 x 4, my problem is fitting anything in my room. My current cage is fantastic, and I love it, I just need a layout that will fit.
I might get a new, larger wardrobe that I can fit more into so that I can sell my shelve unit.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Mum is thinking about having a trial period! I would keep that cage so clean that it shined if she let me!

pigsNblanket

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm keeping my fingers crossed for u:p
I kind if know where ur moms coming from, because my little boy Carl used to belong to my son's but they did not clean good enough for me so I took it over and pretty soon he thought I was mommy. And now I am! But I adore him to pieces, he would sleep with me if he could and if hubby would let me ❤️ I am actually getting him two brothers next week :cool:

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Ok, so my parents backed out on the trial period. They won't give me any decent reason why I can't have them inside, so I really have nothing to work with. Pretty much all my mum gave me was, "We don't want that type of animal in the house because they will attract rats, ants and cockroaches." I have considered rehoming, but that would be really hard for me to do. I want to leave that as a last resort and maybe try a new tactic this time. I am so frustrated at the moment, I don't see the problem with them being inside. Please help, what can I do?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have three cages in my dining room. I don't have rats, ants or cockroaches. It all has to do with good housekeeping.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any ideas for the floor plan? I am stuck!

Do you still need help with your room? I have 2 designs for you.

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
I think I am ok with floorplans now :) Thanks anyway though, I will consider them.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
They are reconsidering again! Yaaaaay!

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I really, truly pray that things work out for you and your piggies!!! Please keep us posted!! ❤️

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ask them to read this thread. There are a lot of adults on here who keep their guinea pigs in the house. I had guinea pigs when I was still at home, got them again when my kids were young and have had them since. I remember how much I loved them when I was young and what a wonderful pet they were for my kids. My college student son is 22 and still brings one or two out for lap time when he's need a break from homework or is tired from work. Guinea pigs are great stress busters. Good luck. I hope your parents reconsider. Just make sure you live up to the bargain and keep the cage really clean.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Many, many years ago when I was in a similar situation to yours with my pigs living outdoors we had a terrible mouse problem. We were catching 2-3 a week in humane traps. Funnily enough, as soon as we moved the pigs indoors...the mice went away. Why? They had a food source outside (the guinea pig food!) as soon as that disappeared, so did they. So, in fact...having them indoors didn't attract mice. Having them OUTDOORS did. Having pigs outdoors will also attract predators into your yard such as feral cats and dogs (and even foxes) along with snakes.

Renea and Lexi

Cavy Slave
I hope there was a positive outcome to this. We live in Texas and I would never expect my daughter to keep Buddy outside. Even our dogs are inside animals and we installed a dog door so they could come in and out to the backyard whenever they want. Sometimes is parents can be ridiculous. I think if you stay on too of your cleanings it shouldn't be an issue. I agree with some of the other posters though, I would never allow my child to obtain an animal if I wasn't willi g to allow her to properly care for it.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
The original plan was that I got the pigs, and did whatever I had to do to take care of them. Then my parents started going back on that, and said that i could only do what they said with the pigs. It frustrates me so much, I wouldn't have got them unless I was absolutely sure that I could provide them with the right care, and I believed I could and that my parents would support me. Obviously not.

Having a 'family meeting' with them tonight about it. Have my Powerpoint, information booklets and evidence ready. Wish me luck!

everydaylou

Cavy Slave
I am about as smell sensitive as they come, so when we decided to have guinea pigs I had to come up with something that wouldn't bother me smell wise. I bought seven piece of fleece, and I have them all layered in the cage at the same time. Each day, I (or my daughter) roll up the top layer, removing the bulk of the urine and poo, and they have a fresh layer to enjoy. At the end of the week, I toss it all in the wash (hidey houses too) and scrub out the bottom with vinegar until it is super clean. I never smell anything bad- just the scent of hay and clean piggies, which is inoffensive :) I don't know how fleece is priced in AU, but I just used 40% off coupons at our local fabric shops and did quite well. I got 2 yards free on craigslist- I just put out a plea for fleece and had good response. Maybe if you were following a schedule like this for cleaning your mom would be more satisfied.

I can't stand the scent of shavings and urine soaked fluff makes me want to gag lol. This works for me, and I get to see my girls popcorning about every day because they are happy to have a clean cage and fresh hay :)

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Yay finally a breakthrough! Well, the piggies are not allowed in my room, BUT, they are allowed in our downstairs lounge! More high traffic than my room, better insulated, more room for floortime AND they will have an awesome view of the TV! I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier! So excited, the move begins this weekend. Going to go sew some celebratory fleece liners and cozies.

Hmmm need Dad to begin on the cage upgrade to convert my bottom storage area to a cage for my other two girls. My cage (when it's finished-only half done at the moment) will be as follows-

Level 1- 2.5 x 5.5 cage for Layla and Mina
Level 2- 1.25 x 5.5 loft for Layla and Mina
Level 3- 2.5 x 5.5 cage for Siska and Bagel
Level 4 (penthouse!) 1.25 x 5.5 loft for Siska and Bagel

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAN'T WAIT!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Yay finally a breakthrough! Well, the piggies are not allowed in my room, BUT, they are allowed in our downstairs lounge! More high traffic than my room, better insulated, more room for floortime AND they will have an awesome view of the TV! I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier! So excited, the move begins this weekend. Going to go sew some celebratory fleece liners and cozies.

Hmmm need Dad to begin on the cage upgrade to convert my bottom storage area to a cage for my other two girls. My cage (when it's finished-only half done at the moment) will be as follows-

Level 1- 2.5 x 5.5 cage for Layla and Mina
Level 2- 1.25 x 5.5 loft for Layla and Mina
Level 3- 2.5 x 5.5 cage for Siska and Bagel
Level 4 (penthouse!) 1.25 x 5.5 loft for Siska and Bagel

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAN'T WAIT!

Great news! Make sure you give your dad a BIG hug.

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
you could do what I do, and bring up that fact that its against the law to have a guinea pig outside(where I am anywhere Idk about where you are) my aunt doesn't like rodents but is slowly warming up to Izzy and Choco.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
you could do what I do, and bring up that fact that its against the law to have a guinea pig outside(where I am anywhere Idk about where you are) my aunt doesn't like rodents but is slowly warming up to Izzy and Choco.

They are coming inside in three days! We just have to get it all ready :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.