Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Maybe An Older Piggie.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
I have to say as a pet owner who is very active in the community and takes pride in the care they give their animals like so many others here, that I really enjoy caring for animals. That passion and interest in smaller pets such as rodents and reptiles has made me discover I had a passion for veterinary medicine. Starting pre vet online classes soon hopefully!

Besides the point. I really want another piggy. One I have particularly fallen for. His name is blaze and he is all white and has beautiful pink eyes, but a softer pale pink. When I was looking to adopt my two girls I saw him and have found out the rescue has had a hard time getting him adopted and has had him since 2013! The little guy is coming up on 6 years and as far as I know in good health.

I had an idea to make a good size but not too big as he is a senior, sized cage to put beside my current DIY old loft bed with the legs cut down cage™. Then he could live out the time he has left in a nice cozy home and knowing me I would probably spoil him with soft fleecys as I call them.

One thing I want opinions on though is I was planning to have the guy alone. Although I do have a reason. I would hate to put another piggy through the loss of another. Then the remaining one would be alone and the cycle starts all over.

That's pretty much it. Its so sad when shelters have a lot of old guineas needing homes to live happily with the time they do have. And this shelter is no kill so they have a few. I feel like the old stereo typical cat lady who spends her time and most of her house to give older cats homes. I would just feel really happy knowing I'm helping another pig who hasn't had consistency in a long time.
Let me know your thoughts, thanks so much guys!

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
I'd say go for it! its great to adopt older pets and give them a forever home :) I once adopted a very old dog who had cancer and I only had her for a year and a half but, she was the sweetest dog ever, she was so appreciative to have a home, I also adopted a very old hamster and he was also the sweetest. I personally find that older pets are happy to have a forever home and end up being the sweetest pets ever! good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If I follow your logic, @Mickeys Piggies, you want to have a pig live alone for the rest of his life because he might be alone after a cagemate dies. I'm not so sure the pig would prefer that.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
If the shelter has a few, why not get a pair of older pigs? Then you have two older pigs living the good life for the remainder of their years.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
If the shelter has a few, why not get a pair of older pigs? Then you have two older pigs living the good life for the remainder of their years.

If I follow your logic, @Mickeys Piggies, you want to have a pig live alone for the rest of his life because he might be alone after a cagemate dies. I'm not so sure the pig would prefer that.
You have a point. His page hasn't said anything about how he does with other pigs so I was thinking on asking the staff to see if they thought he would do better with a companion. How I saw it is I haven't had an animal for long enough to help them cope with the loss of a cage mate. Honestly it is a little scary thinking about if one were to go downhill. But, when you own an animal for its whole life, I have to be prepared for that. So like I said. I'll ask to see if he prefers a cage mate or not, then we can take it from there. Thank you guys for all the views on looking at it. Sometimes I have an image in my head about how something will work. Then forget about small details. I hate that I wish I had a different way of imagining things. Thanks again. As we get through the adoption process I'll keep posted [emoji2]

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
I recently lost a pig that was a senior when I adopted him, and he never lived with another pig before coming home with me. I wished I had him longer, but he loved living with my other pig. If the shelter has another male, I would try to see if they'd make a good pair. Good luck!

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Skinnypig1 on YouTube has an older piggy in a cage by himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave

Yeah, but the poo piggy lost his brother and he had always been a bit aggressive so when she tried to pair him he just wasn't having it, so he is alone. Just at the moment I am unsure of his behavior with other piggies.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
Yeah, but the poor piggy lost his brother and he had always been a bit aggressive so when she tried to pair him he just wasn't having it, so he is alone. Just at the moment I am unsure of his behavior with other piggies.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
I recently lost a pig that was a senior when I adopted him, and he never lived with another pig before coming home with me. I wished I had him longer, but he loved living with my other pig. If the shelter has another male, I would try to see if they'd make a good pair. Good luck!
I am so sorry to hear that. I would love to know that older boars can live together. But long story short my two current young males had a fallout at about two months old. I hope when my current boars get older and stop growing they can live happily together.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
I adopted a single three-year-old from the shelter recently. Not too old, but certainly not a baby. As far as I know, he never had a friend, but he took to Alex right away. He loves having a friend.
That's great to hear! I hope he and Alex continue to be friends 😃

lisa325

Cavy Slave

That's Calvin, isn't he adorable? :love:. He recently lost his cage mate, Hobbes, and although she did try him with a couple of other pigs it seems he prefers to spend his remaining years alone.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
That's Calvin, isn't he adorable? :love:. He recently lost his cage mate, Hobbes, and although she did try him with a couple of other pigs it seems he prefers to spend his remaining years alone.
So sad when I found out Hobbes had passed away. I've never seen two piggies love being with each other so much, so glad Abby could have the two of them together as they grew up.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Yes, they were so good together, I love Abby's video's, she's really devoted to her piggies, if there was a way to have Calvin with another cage mate we know she would have done it.

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
Yes, they were so good together, I love Abby's video's, she's really devoted to her piggies, if there was a way to have Calvin with another cage mate we know she would have done it.
I agree she does really try to help others take more proper care of thir pigs. If it wasn't for her I probably wouldn't have realized how much they really do need veg or the importance of the right amount of pellets.

Ah, that's the great thing, there are fantastic communities like this here to help, because chances are people have had the same thoughts as you about health, behavior and so many other topics.

Legume Family

Cavy Slave
Mickeys Piggies, if you are referring to the Blaze at Crazy Cavies, that's where I got my two girls! (Punky and Honeybun). They are a great adoption agency. I adopted Punky and Honeybun to keep Peanut company in his old age (I couldn't bear to see the little guy alone and it really made his last year happy). If it is CC, they are great with matching up companion piggies. Good luck :)

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
Mickeys Piggies, if you are referring to the Blaze at Crazy Cavies, that's where I got my two girls! (Punky and Honeybun). They are a great adoption agency. I adopted Punky and Honeybun to keep Peanut company in his old age (I couldn't bear to see the little guy alone and it really made his last year happy). If it is CC, they are great with matching up companion piggies. Good luck :)
Yeah! It is crazy cavies! That's so cool. I got my two girls, sunshine and Vegas from them. Do you happen to know anything about blaze?

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
Just sent the adoption application. Hopefully Blaze an have an older piggy to keep him company :D

Legume Family

Cavy Slave
Yeah! It is crazy cavies! That's so cool. I got my two girls, sunshine and Vegas from them. Do you happen to know anything about blaze?

I don't know too much about Blaze, I only remember him distinctly because he looks exactly like (well, in coloring and chubbiness) my best friend's pet rat.

His listing says he was placed in a foster home; maybe the two owners of the rescue know if he is paired at the foster's house? I never saw Crazy Cavies keep pigs alone-- every cage had 4-5. I assume this means that they are really good at pairing. They spent two hours with me and Peanut (I brought him with me so he could "pick" the girls), and tried a bunch of different pigs with him before he found the two he liked best. They would probably do the same with you!

Blaze is neutered, though, so if you have girls, couldn't you keep him with them? Even in his old age, Peanut was super domineering and had no problem getting the girls to adjust to him. Seniors can be surprisingly active, and having younger pigs around is really good for them :)

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
I don't know too much about Blaze, I only remember him distinctly because he looks exactly like (well, in coloring and chubbiness) my best friend's pet rat.

His listing says he was placed in a foster home; maybe the two owners of the rescue know if he is paired at the foster's house? I never saw Crazy Cavies keep pigs alone-- every cage had 4-5. I assume this means that they are really good at pairing. They spent two hours with me and Peanut (I brought him with me so he could "pick" the girls), and tried a bunch of different pigs with him before he found the two he liked best. They would probably do the same with you!

Blaze is neutered, though, so if you have girls, couldn't you keep him with them? Even in his old age, Peanut was super domineering and had no problem getting the girls to adjust to him. Seniors can be surprisingly active, and having younger pigs around is really good for them :)
I have two girls but one is paired with my two young (aka immature) boys. And just adorable, who doesn't love a chubby piggy to snuggle with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.