Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Orchard Grass vs Bluegrass?

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, been little while.

So I've been having some eye issues lately and my doctor thinks that the timothy hay from the guinea pigs may be a contributing factor (not the main one, but definitely isn't helping, they think). So I went by a local pet supply store (no live pets, promise) and picked up some Oxbow Orchard Grass. But if the girls like it, getting it in bigger sizes is less cost effective than ordering bluegrass from KMS, whom I usually buy my timothy from.

Is there a vast difference between orchard grass and bluegrass?

Anybody had experience with the bluegrass? Did your pigs seem to like it? I know all pigs are different, but I'm hoping I an order a small amount and see how it goes with the ladies. So far they're eating the orchard grass, as much as normal. But it's also cage cleaning day which sort of stresses them out and makes them sleepy once they're back in their cage. I​ love the orchard though, it's very soft compared to their 2nd timothy (which was going to change to 3rd on the next order).

Not expecting too many specific answers, since I know all experience is going to vary person to person and pig to pig. Just trying to go through some options, and cost effectiveness is part of that equation. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So order KMS orchard grass. She's got a new crop in.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
My piggies love KMS bluegrass, you can email them and get a 1lb sample for the cost of shipping.

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Is the bluegrass the same? I'm not seeing an option to order orchard on KMS and I'm not seeing it in my e-mails, either?
@Rywen Thank you! I didn't know I could get a sample. That's brilliant.

lissie

Cavy Slave
According to KM, their bluegrass hay is a hybrid between orchard grass and blue grass.
(broken link removed)

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Mine didn't care for the bluegrass as much as 2nd cut timothy from KMS. I got them the KMS 3rd cut timothy - talk about soft! Now, they like 3rd cut only. I think my girls liked the wideness of the 3rd cut. The orchard hay/blugrass was very thin.

They don't like Oxbow (and I have a 50 lb box of it.) They are now eating much much more pellets. Before, they never ate the daily recommended amount and mowed through the 3rd cut.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
oh, I forgot to say, it may have just been a change in food as why they didn't care for the bluegrass. For a year or more they only had 2nd cut.

rau91

Cavy Slave
Which brand of Timothy hay do you tend to buy? Is it the kaytee, carefresh, dunlean farms, or oxbow? I use the timothy hay provided by Small Pet Select, which I think is the "best" organic, fresh, chemical and pesticide free hay; I believe it is this brand that is recommended at happycavy.com. Moreover, Amazon does provide the 8lb and 10lb box of hay under the prime membership from Small pet select (free two day shipping! [emoji41]) The 8lb box ( $ 29.99)with two piggies lasts me about a month to a month and a half and that is with me changing it out everyday.
Here is the link to amazon--> https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ID70IEU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1410398901&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

And here is the link to happycavy.com ---> https://www.happycavy.com/what-can-guinea-pigs-eat/

Hope this helped a bit!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Brand doesn't have much to do with hay. The quality of hay is far more dependent on the growing/harvesting conditions, and how it's packaged for sale. Kaytee, for instance, mostly sells small packages, and they can sit around in a big pet store warehouse for quite a while before making it to the shelves. Companies that sell by the box usually sell fresher hay, because it essentially comes from the farmer to you with little or no storage in between.

The cheapest way to buy hay is from a local farmer, if you live where there is one. There, you can buy a bale of hay for $10 or less, and a bale can weigh upwards of 100 pounds. The most expensive way is to buy it in a small bag from a pet store, no matter what the brand is. In the middle is ordering boxes of hay (usually 40-50 pounds), which is way cheaper than buying from a pet store, but a lot more expensive than a local farmer or feed store.

rau91, you're paying $4.50 a pound for that hay. I get a 45-pound box from KMS Hayloft form about $54, less than $1.15 a pound. The other hay sellers for the pet market have similar pricing -- American Pet Diner, Small Pet Select, Oxbow (I think they ship to stores and you have to order through the store), and several others work the same way.

rau91

Cavy Slave
[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] when you put it that way... Haha

Bpatters,

I do really appreciate your advice and tips very much! Given the fact I am currently living in Pennsylvania...surrounded by farmland... I better go hunt myself a farmer! [emoji16] again, thank you for your kind guidance!

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I would love to have a farmer here in Michigan that does just timothy. I have called all around and they have timothy/alfalfa blends. Anyone in Michigan buy from a farmer?

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I would love to have a farmer here in Michigan that does just timothy. I have called all around and they have timothy/alfalfa blends. Anyone in Michigan buy from a farmer?
Try Sweet Meadow. They're based in Massachusetts, so shipping should be significantly cheaper than from KMS. I live in Ohio and I order their meadow hay, but I've gotten their timothy before and it's quite good.

https://sweetmeadowfarm.com/

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Thanks Mastershroom, but the price is comparable to KMS for the big size.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.