Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I just finished growing some Wheat Grass for our girls....it's easier than what i thought...Plus the girls LOVE IT !!! They will go to town over it...!!!
MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!These are the ones i use to cut/trim, so they can eat with their salads. I tried giving them one each, but they could easily pull the whole grass out. So know it is just for trimming..unless i hold it while the munch !!!
MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!This Bottom one i let the pigs actually get on and eat from..They love picking their own grass. I do watch to make sure they don't eat the seeds. But i have noticed they will chew the grass down until they reach the bottom..!!

I have noticed a little mold, but that was do to over watering and too much seed packed together..!! Once i cut back on the water, the mold went away..!! So far all my plants are doing awesome....Plan to plant more soon, cause the girls will have this ate up in no time...!! Will post pics of them munchin on the grass at a later date !!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Pretty cool!

Have you thought about planting seeds from the timothy hay? I wonder how good the yield would be.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I love growing wheat grass, it looks lovely, and I feel at least somewhat capable of growing plants. (Well, the only thing that doesn't die on me & with minimal care. )

Mine will mold if I haven't cut enough holes in the container for drainage.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Pretty cool!

Have you thought about planting seeds from the timothy hay? I wonder how good the yield would be.

I've tried this before, and it works extremely well actually. I first got the idea when I found it was starting to grow in the woods where I shake out the pigs' bedding, so I tried just sprinkling some in a pan with dirt as if it was grass seeds, and it works well, the pigs and bunny love it! I've had so many problems with growing wheat grass before, including a swarm of fruit flies invading because of it, but have had not problems with the timothy so far.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc....:) It is a OK window scene...I live in the southern part of Oklahoma. Pretty close to the Texas border. What part of OK/AR did u grow up around? There isn't much around here anymore....well if u still count the Amish...lol !!! Thanks

@HannibalLecter...I love growing it too..it is so easy to grow. Which i'm surprised, haven't had much luck with grass cause of the humidity here. But luckily i can grow it inside with little light !! I have tryed Cat Grass too, but it's hard to find around here, so it will be something i will have to order online !! How many trimmings do you get off your grass before you regrow new grass???

@PigPandemonium & Foggycreekcavy....I haven't tried Timothy Hay yet. Right now i'm going to try different type of grasses to find which one will grow best around my area. So far i know i can grow Cat grass & Wheat grass easy and with little effort. How are you getting the seed for the Timothy Hay??? I will have to order the seed online or find a seed store that sells it. I do have a friend that is going to grow Timothy Hay in his pasture for Hay. I Prob. can get the seed from him.
Another thing with the grass around here...it has to be Heat and drought tolerant. Sometimes we have little rain and very high heat/humidity! It doesn't take long for grass to die.
I'm trying to find some different grass that i can grow all year long...even in the winter. Cause my piggies would think i'm being mean if they don't get their daily fresh grass..!! Even my Shy girl will come out and greet me if she knows i'm bringing grass..!! :)

MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!MY WHEAT GRASS...1st attempt !!!My girls munching on their grass !!!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I get two good cuts, sometimes a reasonably good third but they find it less appealing.
If I let my pigs do their thing, they completely bulldoze over it. :silly:

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I get two good cuts, sometimes a reasonably good third but they find it less appealing.
If I let my pigs do their thing, they completely bulldoze over it. :silly:

Lol..mine didn't know what to think about a tray of grass, but didn't take them long to get their face and bodies into it!!! What do you grow ur grass in? Potting soil or the soilless type of materials??? I use these things called baby blankets..! The seeds just grow right on top and then they roots weave through the material! Going to try using potting soil but afraid it will mold faster! Any tips on how you grow yours!! Ps sorry for spelling/typing..using my phone!

drgraves2

Cavy Slave
have anyone ever tried sod?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My cats go wild over this. ( Esp. catnip.} They dont leave any for the piggies. I do get fresh timothy hay from the feed store and the pigs do love that. I cant give enough, the eat it so fast.

Raine59

Cavy Slave
I tried growing wheat grass and it was a dismal failure. I got a few paltry strands of hair thin grass before it just all died. I wish I knew what I had done wrong especially since most people seem to have great luck with it.

drgraves2

Cavy Slave
do as i did i found a sod farm close and had animal safe sod it was 18 inches by 6 feet long and only $1.60. No grass seeds or grass to grow just put in a tub with dirt and water. Just dont let the pigs eat too long or no grass left.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I tried growing wheat grass and it was a dismal failure. I got a few paltry strands of hair thin grass before it just all died. I wish I knew what I had done wrong especially since most people seem to have great luck with it.

There are many youtube videos on how to grow wheat grass. I have watched tons of them. But where i got my Wheat seed from has a video on how to grow their wheat grass...so i just followed their video. Here is the place i got my seed from. I got 2 Kits...it was more than what i was thinking...so i have seed for awhile. But this guy goes step by step on how to grow the seed. I was happy when it took off and i was able to feed to my piggies. Did you grow it outside? Or put it where it could get a lot of heat/sun? (heat will kill the grass very fast) Maybe you just over watered. Or not watered enough. Growing a plant is such a touchy thing..!! I have been trying to grow a Japanese Maple tree for years, but NO LUCK :( !!!

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)

southernfury

Cavy Slave
My cats go wild over this. ( Esp. catnip.} They dont leave any for the piggies. I do get fresh timothy hay from the feed store and the pigs do love that. I cant give enough, the eat it so fast.

LOL..!! I will have to call our local feed store and see if they have fresh Timothy hay. I normally just buy mine from the Stores(wal-mart). We don't have cats...so our piggies get everything to themselves...:) They are very spoiled..!!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You being in OK you should have feed stores that have good grass hay. Feed stores hers in AZ. have bermuda, alfalfa, timothy and mixtures. My pigs do not like the bermuda. They will eat the mixed but they are over 6 months so I dont use that because of the alfalfa. They love the timothy which I buy by the 100 lb bale. It will last me 9 months. I give them a big pile aday and never let them run out. The timothy cost me 30.00 dollars a bale. Bermuda is half the cost of that but my pigs leave it. Either hay is def. better than store bought hay in my opinion.and in the long run much cheaper.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
You being in OK you should have feed stores that have good grass hay. Feed stores hers in AZ. have bermuda, alfalfa, timothy and mixtures. My pigs do not like the bermuda. They will eat the mixed but they are over 6 months so I dont use that because of the alfalfa. They love the timothy which I buy by the 100 lb bale. It will last me 9 months. I give them a big pile aday and never let them run out. The timothy cost me 30.00 dollars a bale. Bermuda is half the cost of that but my pigs leave it. Either hay is def. better than store bought hay in my opinion.and in the long run much cheaper.

My Pasture and around my house is Bermuda grass...so i go pick it fresh daily for them. My piggies seem to like it. But they like it more when it is small and doesn't have the runners that Bermuda puts off. I also get them Blue Stem and local grass that i have growing in the yard. They do have their favorites that they like more than others.
We do have to watch where and Who we get Hay from...for some reason around here, people like to bale up trash hay...and they have no clue what kind of grass it it. Or their is a lot of stems and weeds that are not safe for piggies. I'm Hoping that our friend grows Timothy Hay in his pasture, i can go get the Hay from him and i will be able to go pick it fresh if i wanted too.!! I plan to go check out local farm stores for seeds and Hay !!

Kota12

Cavy Slave
Where do you get the wheat grass kits?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.