Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay I'm allergic to Hay

skimarlena

Cavy Slave
So I was worried that I was allergic to our piggies, but it turns out I'm allergic to the hay. I stopped feeding it to them and our local pet store folks say they don't really need it, but I've read that it is important (from this forum). I don't know what to do.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Try orchard grass or kms bluegrass. Dont listen to the petstore. They NEED hay 24/7

skimarlena

Cavy Slave
ok, do you get that from a pet store?

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
you can get orchard grass from a pet store

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
if the other grasses are not helping either you can try possibly giving hay during outside playtime, where you have more air circulation and so the grass is not sitting in your living space and lower air circulation. Also you may try a face mask :0 look goofy but they can help. Depending on your allergy symptoms a neti pot maybe helpful it washes all the allergy triggers out of your nasal passage, it is weird at first but I like it better than meds cause i don"t feel groggy and get instant results. Otherwise if you are a meds person, Zyrtec makes a great indoor/outdoor allergy pill and eye drops that will help significantly. If you have a walgreen they offer b1g1 sales on their store brand frequently and I stock up then.

**source I am plauged with allergies and asthma and am pretty much alergic to myself :) But if they are really bad and unable to be controlled with other methods or trigger asthma..you might be in for some tough decisions.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Oh also look into getting an air purifier. It really helps. Im allergic to hay, but have no problems with an air purifier

lissie

Cavy Slave
if the other grasses are not helping either you can try possibly giving hay during outside playtime, where you have more air circulation and so the grass is not sitting in your living space and lower air circulation.

They need hay 24/7 so giving hay only play time won't work for the pigs.

I agree about the air purifier and Zyrtec. They do help a lot.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
They need hay 24/7 so giving hay only play time won't work for the pigs.

I agree about the air purifier and Zyrtec. They do help a lot.

true...that would not be a good work around

skimarlena

Cavy Slave
i will try the orchard grass. I do have many allergies but can't live with a constant irritant in my owr home. I do not like meds and use herbal stuff as much as possible. I have air purifiers in our bedrooms. hopefully the grass with work.

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could try giving them sun-dried timothy hay cubes. I have seen them in some pet stores before. They are basically like blocks of timothy hay. I have never used them before for my guinea pigs, but I think that they would create less hay dust in the air when you use them, so your allergies might not be bothered by them as much. Or you could just give them another type of hay like others have mentioned.

-GuineaPiggiez

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could try giving them sun-dried timothy hay cubes. I have seen them in some pet stores before. They are basically like blocks of timothy hay. I have never used them before for my guinea pigs, but I think that they would create less hay dust in the air when you use them, so your allergies might not be bothered by them as much. Or you could just give them another type of hay like others have mentioned.

-GuineaPiggiez

Hay cubes are not ideal. Try having someone else pack hay into brown paper bags that you can easily just plop into the cage- you will have minimal contact with the hay. Not feeding hay is NOT an option. They need it. I hope you can find a solution that works for both you and them:)

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Hay cubes are not ideal. Try having someone else pack hay into brown paper bags that you can easily just plop into the cage- you will have minimal contact with the hay. Not feeding hay is NOT an option. They need it. I hope you can find a solution that works for both you and them:)
Oops, sorry, I didn't know that. So yeah, don't pay attention to my post lol.

JoesLady

Cavy Slave
I have never had an allergy a day in my life, until about 9 months ago. Apparently, it is really common to develop allergies during pregnancy and this happened to me. I had never had any problems with my Joe or his hay until the last couple months of my pregnancy and it had gotten progressively worse. It got to the point that both of my eyes swelled up (the right one almost completely closed, my throat got super scratchy and swollen to the point I couldn't breathe normally, and I developed a horrible rash all over my arms, and no medicine helped, I tried eyewash and still nothing. I tried switching to orchard grass and nothing, bluegrass wasn't available and I felt stuck! It got so bad that I actually considered (briefly) re-homing them, but this was just not an option, I knew I needed to find a solution. There is the negative...now for the positive!!...

I went to the grocery store and got 100 brown paper bags for like $2, I also got a long pair of gardening gloves and a pair of non-vented goggles and I facemask (kind of like the ones doctors wear). About once a month, I suit up like I'm preparing for biological warfare and pack hay into the brown paper bags. I cut a couple of slits in them for air circulation and vwhalah! I throw on a glove and give them a bag of hay when they need it and have pretty much no symptoms, the ones that I do have are more that managable.

While it's not a perfect solution, containing the hay in the bag keeps it from getting into the air as much, it keeps it from getting ALL OVER their cage (they still scatter it a bit), and it keeps Joe and Jesse from rolling around in it so I don't blow up like a puffer fish when I hold them.

I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you and your piggies!!

jeanne12

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm allergic to hay and have asthma
But hay is very very essential to guineas they MUST HAVE it every day
don't take any notice of some idiot who says they don't they obviously don't have a clue about guineas Although I'm allergic to hay !! What you can do is when giving them hay and cleaning them out get yourself a good mask which you can get in any DIY STORE this will protect you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.