Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Bonded(?) boars now fighting

Kayleigh_q

Cavy Slave
I have two boars, one is about a year and a half, and the other is a little over 6 months. I introduced the younger one to my older boar about 3 months ago after the death of the older boar's friend (he was about 7). For 3 months, after some rumble-strutting and occasional mounting, the two got along very well. I'm home a lot and their cage is up in my room. They both have about 12 ish sq feet of space, and their own separate hideouts.
This morning, at about 5, I woke up to them screaming and attacking each other. First, I'm thinking that they got scared by my alarm clock. But nope, they are nipping and jumping and biting at one another and chasing each other everywhere. The cage can be divided, so I divided their cage. I took the older one into a separate room and fed him some treats and tried to get him to chill. Since I had to leave for work, I dropped him back into his separate side of the cage. Hearing that they were both still chattering their teeth at one another, I decided not to put them together while I was away. 5 hours later, my mom texted me to tell me that she had put them together once again but they went right back to attacking one another. What the heck!!! I've seen no prior issues. When I get home, should I let them battle it out? From what I've observed, the bites aren't causing any bleeding. I'll probably deep clean their cage and maybe give them a buddy bath....... Really not sure what else to do. For all I know, they may not have been bonded in the first place.

My honest opinion is don't let them battle it out.
Here is a video of my pigs (rip) Mojo and Reko who at that time had lived together for over a year with no issues. I had them out like normal and this happened. After this was filmed I put them inside with a larger area as I thought they had just gotten spooked or something. They tore at each other and drew blood (and a medical bill).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XImOhP7gmVc

If they were doing that, chances are, you won't be able to house them ever together (as that's what happened with me).

But in saying that, try the bath and floor time just keep a towel near by to cover them if they fight.

My honest opinion is don't let them battle it out.
Here is a video of my pigs (rip) Mojo and Reko who at that time had lived together for over a year with no issues. I had them out like normal and this happened. After this was filmed I put them inside with a larger area as I thought they had just gotten spooked or something. They tore at each other and drew blood (and a medical bill).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XImOhP7gmVc

If they were doing that, chances are, you won't be able to house them ever together (as that's what happened with me).

But in saying that, try the bath and floor time just keep a towel near by to cover them if they fight.

Thank you. I think the younger boar is trying to dominate the older boar. I'm keeping them separated while I'm away and together while I can supervise. So far, no more major fighting.

Don't separate and then put back together. Either separate them, or put them together. Every time you put them back together after a separation, they start the whole dominance establish process all over again, from ground zero.

I second @bpatters

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.