Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Anyone else have a special needs guinea pig??

Nessy

Cavy Slave
Aw that's very sad, but she was very well loved while she was here. I have had the pain of putting to sleep a young animal and it certainly hurts bad. Hugs to you xx

Sabrina Clayton

Cavy Slave
Oh I am so so sorry to hear about Panda. Hugs from all of us here! Getting a companion for Pearl is a good idea but there's no need to rush after such a loss xx

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm really sorry to hear this. :(

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@pearlsmom I am so sorry. You did everything you could for her and she got to experience love and affection while she was here. She's at the Rainbow Bridge now where she has good health and can run with the other guinea pigs.

pearlsmom

Cavy Slave
thank you all so much

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
I've got one "special needs" pig, or at least I believe so. He seems pretty mentally handicapped. He's not blind (though it looks like his eyes default to looking "up"), or deaf, can smell, what have you, he's just dumb as a doorknob. He's the type to forget he's standing next to the edge of the cage and turns around the wrong way and clunk his head into the side of the cage. He'll stand under his house and popcorn, whacking his head and then bites it (its like, oh god, he's killing more brain cells- you don't have enough to afford that!). You offer him food on a plate and he'll bite the plate for a minute before figuring out he's supposed to take the food off the plate, runs off with the food, and when he returns will bite the plate again until he figures out its not edible again (the other pigs might bite the plate once before figuring out how it works). If things get in his way he'll often just bulldoze through them rather than thinking to going around (he's a big boy), I've even seen him walk onto/over his cage-mate to get at food, much to their dismay. He runs on pure instinct, and when instinct can't answer his questions he just derps and ceases function (he's not hiding/freezing... he just goes blank). He even forgets he's eating and just derps for a bit with food hanging out of his mouth (again, he's not freezing... its just like his brain needs to reboot).

Your little man sounds like my Presley. She has weird feet, but I love her anyway. She is the most laid back and loving pig.

@pearlsmom I am so sorry about Panda. I had to put my Radley down 2 weeks ago because of severe head tilt. Both the vets thought it was a antibiotic resistant ear infection or a tumor. He had been treated for an ear infection for over a month and he did not improve just got worse. Then he lost a 1lb so I had to do what was best for him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.