Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Having trouble treating bumblefoot

Ferelden

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I am posting because one of my pigs has bumblefoot on his 2 front paws. I have went to the vet and have had this confirmed. I have been working on his feet for about 2 weeks now. I was given medication an antibiotic and a pain killer by the vet and also advised to soak his feet at least once a day in epsom salt baths. I have been following the advice but it seems his feet are in a cycle of open wound > scab > scab falls off > open wound > scab. I’m concerned the open wound becomes infected every time it is revealed. I am wondering if I should be wrapping his feet? My vet advised for me to stop giving him baths as it is loosening the scabs perhaps. Is there any advice on this? I have attached 2 images of his feet last week when they started “healing”, but now the scabbing is peeling off as of today. I will try to get pictures later!
Having trouble treating bumblefootHaving trouble treating bumblefoot

Are you bathing him in addition to soaking his feet? If so, that's unnecessary.

What is the strength of the epsom salts solution you're using? Are you rinsing his feet well afterward?

There are several recommendations at https://guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html.

About 2 years ago I adopted an older rescue who had bumblefoot on one of her front feet when I got her.

I used vetricyn spray multiple times a day.
https://vetericyn.com/product/vetericyn-plus-all-animal-wound-and-skin-care/?attribute_size=16oz

I swear by vetricyn spray for all kinds of wound care. You can also order it from amazon or chewy...find your best price.

I also used F&M ointment from gorgeous guineas. https://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/ointments-11-c.asp

It took a couple months of consistent multiple times per day treatments (4-5 times a day- morning, after work, after dinner & before bed...on weekends I could treat at lunch time as well), but it healed nicely and has never been a problem since.

I also house my pigs on fleece, they have a lot of room to run around (6x6 bottom level with a 2x10 L shaped top floor) and I spot clean with vacuum & change small pads from beds and favorite spots twice a day so they never have moist areas they have to lay in.

Good luck...it is treatable so please do not give up.

I'm not a fan of spray treatments for areas where the pig can lick. Sometimes they're necessary, but I'd take some precautions. I'd spray some in a spoon, then soak a q-tip in it and apply only to the open areas rather than spraying the foot. Same thing with the F&M ointment. But I particularly don't like the fact that GG doesn't list the ingredients in the ointment.

Guinea pigs have such finicky GI tracts that I tend to avoid like the plague anything that might upset them.

I'm not a fan of spray treatments for areas where the pig can lick. Sometimes they're necessary, but I'd take some precautions. I'd spray some in a spoon, then soak a q-tip in it and apply only to the open areas rather than spraying the foot. Same thing with the F&M ointment. But I particularly don't like the fact that GG doesn't list the ingredients in the ointment.

Guinea pigs have such finicky GI tracts that I tend to avoid like the plague anything that might upset them.

You make a good point about the F&M ointment.

As far as the vetricyn spray... it's actually completely nontoxic and safe if licked or ingested.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.