Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General White pee

LadyLazerStar

Cavy Slave
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm BRAND NEW to piggies. I was cuddling my girls earlier and I asked my boyfriend to grab one so we could return them to the cage. When he picked her up she squirted what I believe to be pee on me. Now, I don't mind being peed on, but I'm not really sure that's what this was. Is there anything else she could have sprayed on me? It was whitish and very very cloudy looking which I have read is a sign of too high calcium if it was urine?

Generally guinea pig urine is slightly milky white in appearance, so that's nothing to worry about. But, if the urine is very white and leaves white deposits when it dries, that means she's getting too much calcium in her diet. What do you typically feed the girls?

Also, welcome! If you don't know this site already, I highly recommend reading through all the material: https://www.guinealynx.info/

To be honest, I have absolutely no clue what brand she's eating, their food came to me in a tin bin but I know it's not high quality, it's got these little bits of other things than just the pellets. I plan on buying oxbow as soon as I get my paycheck since I need to reorder my rats oxbow as well

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

It looked a bit like 50/50 water/ milk to me, does that sound like too much calcium?

From what you're describing, it doesn't sound like she's getting too much calcium in her diet. If the pellets you're currently feeding them has nuts and seeds and colorful bits in them, they should be avoided.

Oxbow Cavy Cuisine is an excellent brand. 1/8th cup of pellets a day should be given to your girls if they're over 6 months. If they're younger, they need alfalfa based pellets and I wouldn't worry about too much calcium, as young pups need it in their diet.

Last edited:
Colorful bits but no seeds. Are these orange rings vit c tabs?

I don't know how old they are, they came from a pet store and haven't grown much if at all since then, that was in Sept

Ah, those pellets should definitely not be fed to your girls, and the orange rings are definitely not vitamin C tabs, I have no clue what they are. I would just feed them a variety of veggies and of course plenty of hay until you get the oxbow brand.

If they came from pet stores, they were probably 8-12 weeks old, just a guess. They're probably adults by now, or maybe not. Speaking of pet stores, it's always a better idea to adopt from a shelter or rescue.

Last edited:
Ah, those pellets should definitely not be fed to your girls, and the orange rings are definitely not vitamin C tabs, I have no clue what they are. I would just feed them a variety of veggies and of course plenty of hay until you get the oxbow brand.

If they came from pet stores, they were probably 8-12 weeks old, just a guess. They're probably adults by now, or maybe not. Speaking of pet stores, it's always a better idea to adopt from a shelter or rescue.
I know but the piggies just came into my care thus weekend. Prior to me taking over their ownership they were my boyfriends younger brother's. Their mom asked me to find them a new home and I couldn't do it so here I am, 8 rats and 2 piggies into my animal hoarding career [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I know but the piggies just came into my care thus weekend. Prior to me taking over their ownership they were my boyfriends younger brother's. Their mom asked me to find them a new home and I couldn't do it so here I am, 8 rats and 2 piggies into my animal hoarding career [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Now I understand! Apologies for the misunderstanding. In that case, it's great you took them in! Guinea pigs are a real joy to have

I'd get them on better pellets, get some good hay and veggies for them, and just watch to see whether they continue to have excess urinary calcium.

In the mean time until I order oxbow can they continue to eat the pellets if I pick out everything but the actual pellets?

You can get oxbow from some pet stores if there are any nearby, which is faster than ordering online. You can call your local pet stores and ask if they have it. Until then, you can pick out everything but the pellets (which is no fun, I've had to do it before- I'm sorry).

Welcome to the forum and thanks for caring for your pigs! You should double-check that they're girls, too, if you haven't yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get oxbow from some pet stores if there are any nearby, which is faster than ordering online. You can call your local pet stores and ask if they have it. Until then, you can pick out everything but the pellets (which is no fun, I've had to do it before- I'm sorry).

Welcome to the forum and thanks for caring for your pigs! You should double-check that they're girls, too, if you haven't yet.

How would I go about doing that? They're the same gender at the least, been cagemates their whole lives (or at least from pet store on) and no babies

Do male piggies not have massive jewels? With my rats my boys are very proud of their.. boys and it's very clear so I had assumed piggies would be the same

Many do, some don't (kinda like people). It also depends on their ages, younger pigs are harder to sex. I typically think all new owners should double-check just in case there's been an error somewhere, since those errors are so very common.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.