Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Upper respiratory infection questions

apierce13

Cavy Slave
Hey all, I'm wondering if if anyone has similar experience with this. I have 3 boys, Leo, Copper, and Grizzly, they are 10, 7, and 2 months old respectively. We got Copper when he was a months and half old qnd he has always had a slight sniffle and the occasional sneeze, we took him to the vet about 2 months ago to finally get it figured out. He told us that it was an upper respiratory infection and gave us some antibiotics, when we finished the treatment the symptoms had become less but were still there. Neither of the other boys have shown any of these symptoms(or any really), is there maybe something else we can try or is it just normal for some guineas?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
My pig was diagnosed with a URI because he wheezed, coughed, and sneezed occasionally. He was put on baytril but the symptoms were still present after 2 weeks. Turns out he has a heart murmur. A vet with lots of experience with guinea pigs was able to figure that out. That could be a possibility with Cooper. It could also just be allergies.

apierce13

Cavy Slave
My pig was diagnosed with a URI because he wheezed, coughed, and sneezed occasionally. He was put on baytril but the symptoms were still present after 2 weeks. Turns out he has a heart murmur. A vet with lots of experience with guinea pigs was able to figure that out. That could be a possibility with Cooper. It could also just be allergies.

If it is allergies is there anything that we could give him to help?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Not sure, I've never had a guinea pig with allergies. I'm sure if you search "allergies" on this site's search bar you will find some useful information :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is your hay dusty?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That could be the cause of the sneezing.

If you're buying hay in small bags from the pet store, not only are you getting the poorest quality hay, but you're paying double or triple per pound what bulk hay bought online would cost, and WAY more than a local bale would be. Not everyone has access to local hay, but ordering bulk boxes from places like American Pet Diner, Small Pet Select, or KMS Hayloft is way cheaper per pound than pet store hay, and much better quality.

apierce13

Cavy Slave
Just an update for those who read it, we made an appointment for Copper this upcoming friday the 12th. We are seeing a different vet this time to see if he comes up with the same result, hopefully we can see whats up

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.