Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant?

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
One of my piggies has been showing all of the signs of being pregnant. Or so we thought. We took her to the vet and even he said that he thought she was pregnant. We do not know how far along she is, she would have gotten pregnant before we got her. We do have two other piggies, a brother/sister pair and the boar is neutered. We think we can feel pups moving, but now I'm not so sure. My pictures really don't show just how pear shaped she is, which is weird as I took them on my camera which normally produces very accurate photos. What do you guys think? SAM_0996.jpgSAM_0997.jpgSAM_0998.jpgSAM_0999.jpgSAM_1000.jpg

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
More pictures.The first one I was trying to get her to put her front paws on my hand. The second is with my hand under her belly. The third I was able to get her to stand on my hands. The last one is her stretched out a little with Simba near by.
SAM_1008.jpgSAM_1010.jpgSAM_1011.jpgSAM_1023.jpg

littlerascal

Cavy Gazer
We have just had the same issue with one of our store purchased guinea pigs, we purchased three females at the same time. Well five weeks after bringing them home we noticed some changes in one of them. We quickly did a check to make sure what we had we all females, they were. All we could do was wait and see, when we first though she was pregnant we started to weigh her and the others for changes in weight. And sure enough each week she was gaining heaps more weight that the others. She is due any day now. It is really hard to tell if its a young guinea pig. How old is she? If she is pregnant all you can do is subtract how long you have had her from the day you have had her from the estimated delivery time and add up to A few weeks for a guess on a delivery date. But if your vet says he thinks she is that my guess is that she is. My little one started to show a little when she was five weeks along. by six to seven weeks along it was deffently showing. I also reported it to the store we purchased it from as there is a vets attached to it. They were not happy that their suppliers had mixed the pigs to allow this to happen and will be looking into it. And are willing to help out if we come into any issues with the birth. Goodluck

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
She doesn't look immediately pregnant to me, but she could just be early along. How long have you had her and where did you get her from? If she is pregnant, it'll become more apparent pretty soon.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
How long have you had her and where did you get her from?
I've had her for about 3 weeks and unfortunately I did get her from a pet store. That was before I found this group. I had looked for an adoption center but was unable to find one, though I have recently found one a couple hours away, so I will definitely be going there in the future. We've been concerned about her being pregnant from the beginning as the person at the store told me that she did not know her sex or the sex of any of the other guinea's in the cage. I later found out that they have had a history of keeping and selling pregnant piggies (definitely will NOT be going back to that store for anything). I took her to the vet a little over a week ago. The pictures REALLY don't show her shape that well. She kept moving around which made it hard to get any good ones. I'll try to get some more later. Hopefully I will be able to get some better pictures.

littlerascal

Cavy Gazer
She is about six months old.
Sadly Mine was only about eight weeks old when purhased her, and 14 weeks as of now and she is so far doing fine, But I kind of think you get a gut feeling if it is pregnant, it seems you have that feeling so i would just take care of her as if she is pregnant. I also purchased mine from a pet shop. But i did look around locally before i did and other places had them caged all together, where i purchasd mine from kept them seperate from the moment they were in the store.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I'm glad yours is doing good. I'm making sure that mine has everything she needs. She absolutely loves veggie time, but seems to enjoy chilling in her hut the majority of the time. I made her a little pillow that she absolutely loves. I have noticed that she has been eating more and definitely drinking more.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
It's hard to tell, but I would say it's better to be safe than sorry and start increasing her vitamin C intake to 50-75 mg a day (recommended amount for pregnant sows) and weighing her at least every other day to see if she's gaining.
My sow was pregnant when we got her (mix up in the litter, we got her and her brother instead of her sister who is identical to the brother. He's fixed now :p) and as soon as we discovered the mix up I assumed she was pregnant and separated her, started her on the increased veggies, weighed her daily, and set up a birthing/baby proofed cage. 3 weeks later (she was 6 weeks along) I could see and feel the babies kicking. She successfully gave birth to two little mischievous fluff balls 4 months ago.
My sow was also 6 months old at the time and she did fine! :) Freya weighed 947g the day before she gave birth and 647 afterwards, her babies were 133g and 115g. It super important to get them eating right away to get their strength and weight back up :)

Another thing you'll notice if she is pregnant is that she will hide a lot more and be a heck of a lot more moody!

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
Another thing you'll notice if she is pregnant is that she will hide a lot more and be a heck of a lot more moody!
My piggy has definitely been hiding more and is more moody, especially towards my other two pigs. I haven't gotten a scale yet, but I'm going to try and get one tomorrow. I keep forgetting every time I go to the store and I always remember later when they are closed.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
My piggy has definitely been hiding more and is more moody, especially towards my other two pigs. I haven't gotten a scale yet, but I'm going to try and get one tomorrow. I keep forgetting every time I go to the store and I always remember later when they are closed.

If you have a WalMart near you they are usually open 24 hours! that's where I got my scale :)
Best thing to do until you are 100% sure is increase her vitamin intake, she'll need it for sure if she's pregnant!

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I'm going to be going to Walmart and Target to find a good scale that is not terribly expensive. Both the Walmarts in our area are only open 6am-midnight unfortunately. They used to be 24 hour ones, but they changed that recently. I have definitely been making sure to offer her even more veggies high in vitamin c. She goes crazy for her veggies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't overdo the veggies. Hay is by far the most important item in her diet, and you don't want her to come to prefer veggies to hay. If she's slacking off on eating hay, then give her part of a plain vitamin C tablet rather than extra veggies.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I have definitely been making sure that she eats her hay. I haven't really been giving her MORE veggies, just more that are high in vitamin c and a little bit more with calcium. I am making sure that I don't overdue the high calcium veggies as I do give her a little bit of alfalfa hay as well as her timothy hay (note: I give her a tiny pinch of alfalfa compared to the timothy; maybe 1/8 cup equivalent). She still only gets about 3/4 to 1 cup of veggies a day, as do my other piggies.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I was able to get a scale today. Yay! Vicky was 596 grams. I'm going to weigh her again in the morning and start keeping track of how much she gains.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
Finally got some more pictures. These ones show off her size a little better. The picture is taken from an angle rather than from straight above, so she looks a little odd.
SAM_1032.jpgSAM_1033.jpg

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
Last weight was 609grams.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I am convinced that Vicky is pregnant. I definitely felt movement when I was holding her last night. She also weighed 634 grams last time I weighed her. Unfortunately, while we see a definitive pear shape in person, every time we take a picture, it doesn't really show up in the pictures. Here are a few more pictures to compare to the other ones. We are thinking that she's only carrying 2 or 3 and that she is possibly 6-7 weeks.
SAM_1048.jpgSAM_1049.jpgSAM_1050.jpgSAM_1051.jpg
I definitely see a difference in the size of her waist. She really hates holding still for longer than a couple seconds (it took five minutes to get these as she kept trying to investigate my computer) so it makes it extremely difficult to get REALLY good pictures of her shape.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
FINALLY got a picture that shows her shape. I know she looks fat in this picture, but she is not fat. She is always running around her cage and I'm extremely anal about how much food my piggies get so that they do not get overweight.
KIMG0076.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.