Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Lolo still hasn't had her babies. Yes, she did!

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave
I've had Lolo since August 31, she was pregnant when we got her. She's on her 11th week now. I felt her side and felt a baby turn over. Her pelvic have widened so I can fit two fingers in between them. She's eating and drinking a lot. Hammy and Lolo have been showing their teeth at each more often these days. Both are female. Hammy has been following Lolo a lot lately cleaning her behind. This is lolos first and last pregnancy. Is there a way to till she's going to be having the babies soon. Can I help her in any way, worried she's gone over 10 weeks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Lolo still hasn't had her babies.

Are you positive that Hammy is a female? Have you turned them both over and compared the important parts?

If you got her on August 31 and she was pregnant then, she's just short of 12 weeks. And while I've heard of guinea pigs occasionally going a day or so past 10 weeks, I've never heard of one going to 12 weeks.

My bet is on Hammy as the dad. If it were me, I'd separate them immediately, since if he is male, she can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth. And that's terribly hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

Do they all drop their balls? I had a male name rj who dropped about three months after having him. Hammy has no visible balls, she's a year old.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Lolo still hasn't had her babies.

Does Hammy have a penis? When you press just above 'her' genitals, does anything pop out?

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

I've checked before, but now I'm questioning myself. I'll check when I get home. Was thinking over separating any how. Hammy has been making her upset lately.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Have you turned them over and compared them? Or looked at www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm? Some males have very small testicles.

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

I've looked at pictures before but always try from memory. I got a picture of a male and a female I'm going reference to. Lolo is too squirmy right now to hold.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Look at that Cavyspirit link I gave you. There's more there than you ever wanted to know about pig genitalia.

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

Thanks, have to admit these are my first guineas pigs. I had no idea they had so much personality. Just didn't realize you could become soo attached to these little critters.

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

Checked out hammy with the picture and wow hammy's a boy. Funny part is I thought Hammy was pregnant at one point and had hammy checked and the vet didn't point out the hammy is a male. What I thought was hammy in heat is balls. And there's just a straight line not a y, with a penis. Yes their being separated.

Rywen

Cavy Slave

It's good you figured it out before Lolo gives birth and goes into heat again!

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave

@susan.nickol1 Was it a regular vet or an exotic vet? Regular vets have little to no knowledge about guinea pigs. Just a heads up! :)

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

We have no exotic vets on the island, this vet is the only one on my side of the island who takes care of guinea pigs.

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

So hard to calling hammy a boy, called hammy a girl for so long it's just habit. But now I have no idea how far along Lolo is.
Lolo still hasn't had her babies.  Yes, she did!Lolo still hasn't had her babies.  Yes, she did!Lolo still hasn't had her babies.  Yes, she did!
First photo when we got her, second photo is about a week ago and third is the most recent. Her nipples are enlarged and have no hair around them, she's pulled the hair from behind her ears. She's either eating and drinking or sleeping. I can feel the babies moving around and fit two fingers between her pelvic bones. Plus she's not letting anyone pick her up without a fight.

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

I haven't been lately just when we clean the cage we take them out and let them run around in their play pen while the cage gets fresh liner, hay, and fresh bedding.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

At this point, I'd clean the cage around her rather than lifting her out.

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

Yesterday I caught a glance a lolos behind and its protruding out to the point looks like a small mountain. Does this mean anything?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Can you post a picture?

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave

No I can't I was cleaning up her cage and she had her behind too me when I saw it, but she won't stay still enough to take a picture and she's too crazy right now to pick up. No one was responding so that's why I opened a new thread cause I want to make sure she's ok, now sure how you can close someone else's thread, but seems wrong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.