Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay I'm allergic to hay - what will the pigs like?

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I have found out I am allergic to hay! Nice when I have 25 pounds of it sitting in the living room. My girls currently get KMS 2nd cut and I need to order more hay. I would like to stick with KMS if possible.

1. Do I get KMS orchard/bluegrass? Will they eat it?
2. Would KMS 3rd cut be less of an allergen? (probably not, but a girl can dream)
3. Any health issues to abruptly switch timothy to orchard/bluegrass?

My two girls love to hide under and lay on the hay, so a hayrack is not a fun idea for them. I've read about the hay in a paper bag, but they will crawl in the bag and poop/pee in it so they would need a new bag every day. I think I would have fighting. One of them would take over the bag, lol. I do give them a box with hay for playing sometimes.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd switch to the orchard grass. I'm allergic to timothy but orchard or meadow grass doesn't bother me.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Orchard or bluegrass might be better. I have allergies to all hay but I have a better time with the blue grass, it's less dusty.

And as a side note my pigs love KM blue grass, hardly any waste.

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Speaking of air purifiers, do you have one you'd recommend? We have one downstairs, but I'd like to put one in the living room up here, and in the room the pigs are in. However, the one downstairs sounds like a loud fan, and blows cold air. I can not stand to have it sound like that all the time in here. When we turn it on downstairs, we have to turn the volume on our tv up. I think up here, where it's loud already (kids, birds, pigs) the additional noise would make me nuts. And, it needs to be on the small side, we don't have a whole lot of space.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
First of all, you need to get the hay out of the living room ASAP! If you are of an allergic nature, I consider an air purifier an absolute "must". It also greatly reduces any potential cage odor.

When we first acquired our cavies, my partner had the worst allergy flare he had ever experienced. We went to great lengths to be able to keep our boys......which included scrubbing the walls and having the room repainted, having sofa and rugs cleaned, cleaning drapes, etc. We went through an elimination process and actually withdrew any hay for a month (not recommended). During that month we fed compressed hay cubes and paid close attention to their diet to include high fiber and roughage. No doubt that it was the timothy hay which we subsequently learned is a strong allergen to many.

Our solution lay in bluegrass hay, and Gary can even handle it without gloves and with no allergy symptoms. You will need to change hay, bathe your piggies, and wash the cage and everything in it. My piggies absolutely LOVE the bluegrass, so the whole house is happy.

Too bad you don't live nearby. I'd give you a bag of bluegrass to try. Give your current box of hay to a shelter or rescue and make a change as soon as you can. :)

Thanks for the advice. I read your allergy thread and knew to look at bluegrass, but wasn't sure about the piggies. I surely didn't want a 25 pound box going to waste. Giving to a shelter - what a great idea! I don't have much left, so I think there won't be any to donate, but I will certainly do that with any leftovers. Hmm, you gave me an idea. Maybe I will buy an extra box to donate to the shelter.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Orchard or bluegrass might be better. I have allergies to all hay but I have a better time with the blue grass, it's less dusty.

And as a side note my pigs love KM blue grass, hardly any waste.

Glad to know your pigs love KM blue grass. I am scared they will hate it and I'll be scrambling for new hay. Makes me feel better.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
My pigs LOVE the KMS bluegrass!! We are using orchard from a local feed store right now, but only because KMS ran out of bluegrass over the summer. I completely agree with timothy being worse, my wife is super allergic to hay, she can't even touch pigs that are eating timothy. When our pigs were eating bluegrass she was way less allergic to them than even now on the orchard. I would also get that main box out of your living room and maybe just have a smaller container you can pull from close by.

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Thanks! This is the one we have downstairs. (broken link removed)

I will definitely try out the homedics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.