Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Think my pig is much older?

Pomegranate

Cavy Slave
I have two pigs, about six months, they're very fast and lively.
I adopted two older pigs in the summer, both said to be 2 years old - but I'm so sure they're older pigs.

I've had pigs till 8 years, and they grow to get sluggish and slow, and one in the end lost a lot of weight, looked really scruffy.

The eldest of the two newest pigs is so sluggish and stays in her house all day everyday. She eats fine, she's a monster compared to the six month old pigs. She never runs, not even to evade being picked up, she doesn't popcorn, just sleeps all day (with her head resting on the floor). But I don't remember my previous pigs seeming so..old...at just two years old.

She's one of the largest pigs I've seen, but her behaviour and temperament lead me to believe she's possibly much older than two. You know when animals are obviously OAPs? :) I'm curious, what are your two year old pigs like? Maybe it's normal? I know there isn't a way of knowing, but it is something I wonder every day!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
My four year old boar pair have started "slowing down" a bit compared to their youth, they still run laps and popcorn but only every other day or so now, in comparison when they were two they would run laps of the cage at least three times a day (though they have always been my most active pair).

In comparison one of my youngest girls seems like a real senior citizen compared to them, she only just turned two but she is a real tub of lard, she hasn't run laps since she was three months old. The only activity that she does that is even close to being active is jumping into the hammock to sleep, begging for food at dinner time, and running away with vegetables. It is no surprise she is one of my larger sows, she doesn't even bother running from my hands 90% of the time. If I wasn't there when she was born I would believe she is a good few years older then she actually is, but she does still have the vigour of youth when running away from her cage mate with a favourite vegetable in her mouth.

Kristi26

Cavy Slave
We have 2 year old boars here right now ( we call them our foster pigs as they belong to my bff with 8 kids and we are watching them for awhile). They are still fairly active running from hands, begging for food, chasing each other...but they don't popcorn like our 1 year old girls or race around the cage much at all.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
That seems like a REALLY mellow piggy! I have two girls that are now 4 (according to the age the rescue gave us when we adopted them). Lucy definitely acts 4 - laid back, doesn't run, rarely popcorns, milky eye, possibly hard of hearing. Snickers acts younger - runs around maybe once a week and popcorns occasionally, asserts her dominance often with rumbling. But they both do wander around the cage frequently and go over to their divider wall to visit their neighbor Randy. I also find it so frustrating to not know for sure how old they are!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb is around 2.5 and Penny will be 2 right around New Year's. They are active, both popcorn, wheek, play chase, sometimes run zoomies in their cage. They aren't quite as active as when they were teens, but are still pretty peppy. If you can afford it (and haven't already done so) a visit to an exotics vet might be a good idea, to rule out any underlying health conditions.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
What's an OAP?

Doesn't sound like she's healthy. I'd have her checked out right away. My 8 year olds are more active than that.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy I had to google it, appears to mean old age pensioner (UK).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.