Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Peeing blood, please help!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I woke up this morning to check on the guinea pigs, and noticed some blood in the cage. When I checked the guinea pigs over, Minnie's butt was bloody!!!! I'm totally flipping out. I am calling vets to find out if any of them will see her and let me make payments, but nobody is willing. She is still acting totally normal. Popcorning, eating, and running around like normal. The blood has me worried though! She is all white, which I assume is why I noticed the blood on her bottom since she was laying in the hidey last night where the blood spot was. She has no signs of injury, and isn't showing signs of illness! SHe's not lost weight, so I'm lost. I'm trying to get ahold of vets like I said, but anything I can do until then?!

GuineaPigs2013

Cavy Slave
This has happend to my guinea pig Missy before, I fed her some grass and DRY FOOD and one day before I was gonna go to the vet she was fine? Try this and If it doesn't work you MUST immediately take your piggie to the vet or god knows what will happen...but my piggie was acting normal at the time as we'll..I'm assuming your piggie will be fine good luck

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Blood could be multiple things. It could be a stone, or a UTI, or it could be the sign of something else internally happening. She really does need a vet.

Can you call friends and family to see if you could borrow some money? Call your local rescues and ask what vets they use. Those vets will be more likely to work with you on a payment plan. At least, all the vets around here that work with rescues do payment plans.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is she?

If it's actual blood, then it's probably from the reproductive tract. Blood in the urine will usually have tiny clots in it, and the urine will be pink, not bloody.

Also, urine oxidizes to a darker color, so if she's had anything to eat that might darken the color, that might be what you're seeing.

But it's nothing you can treat. If you're seeing blood, she needs to go to a vet.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I am trying to find a vet, but nobody will see me without money up front. She is 4 months old. The blood is more of a rust color, not really RED red. There are no clots in it, it is just urine.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, should I separate her for the time being? I'm in the process of getting ahold of my Mom to see if she can lend me the money to get her to a vet. I plan to put down white towels. Should I cover them with fleece still? After I get her on the white towels, should I take a pic for you? I'm trying to make sure I do what's right by her but I just gave the last of my money to the rescue who took my rabbit (I was allergic to him :( )

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The white towel should be on top, so you can more easily see what the blood looks like. You can put up a grid separator, but I wouldn't remove her from the cage. Sure, we'd like to see a photo.

Bloody discharge almost always means a vet visit. Hopefully you'll be able to find some money.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I'm striking zero but still trying to find a way to get her to a vet. The closest one who was willing to work with me is an hour away, and I don't have enough gas to get there. She's in her own cage now, with white towels. She has not peed again but is pooping normally. She is still eating normally too. Nothing unusual except the bloody pee this morning :(.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you given her any new foods recently that might have affected the urine color?

And make sure you check the urine when it's wet. If it's clear then, you don't have to worry about any color that develops as it dries.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Her urine looked more brown/rust colored when it was wet. She hasn't had any new foods, but I know last night she ate three of the carrots I gave them (they usually get ONE baby carrot each). That's the only different food she's had. Not a great picture I know. She was on the bathroom floor while I did cage cleanings. This is a dried spot. There is some hay stuck in it.
Peeing blood, please help!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
She just peed on the blue fleece I have her on ATM (until I can watch her closely to make sure she doesn't chew the towel) and it is white. Not gritty, just white

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the wet urine is white or clear, I wouldn't worry about it. What's on the floor looks like normal dried guinea pig urine.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Would normal urine discolor her fur as it dries? She is all white. Peeing blood, please help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Urine dries darker, wherever it is. The longer it sits before it's actually dry, the more it oxidizes. But what they eat can also affect the amount of oxidation.

Honestly, if you're not seeing small clots, and if it has cleared up, I'd just watch her for a day or so and see what's going on. Urinary tract issues aren't the full-on alert signs that URI's are, unless a pig has a stone that gets into the ureter or urethra and blocks the flow of urine. If she's not acting sick, or squeaking while peeing or pooping, and there's no odor to the urine, you can just observe until something else happens or it appears to be cleared up.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I will keep an eye on her for now then. She hasn't lost weight, is eating normally and acting normal so hopefully it was a false alarm!

WinthropCavy

Cavy Slave
You should look into CareCredit, which is basically a credit card for veterinary services. Google it...it's very helpful!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.