Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any water bottle recommendations? Or just let me know if you relate!!

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I'm frustrated with water bottles, but I really want to find a good one because bowls are messy and you have to change them so often. Anyhow, when I first got piggies four years ago, I bought water bottles from Living World, the white plastic one. I had that one for years and it did not leak until recently. I cleaned it thoroughly, there was no food inside, I have no idea why it started to leak. So, I bought a replacement and it is a leaker too. I had a glass water bottle with a cute ducky inside but I dropped it once and it made a HUGE mess (water and glass everywhere), so I'm trying not to buy that again. The glass one is expensive too, but it didn't leak at all. Actually, I really liked the glass one 'cause I like to watch the bubble go up as my piggies drink but I'm afraid I will drop and break it again. Today, I bought Living World again, but their blue version. My piggies need to get used to it, so far they don't seem to like it as they have not drunk much. I didn't realize Walmart made water bottle for piggies, I think I'll try that out next. Any other water bottle suggestions? :sad:

I also have the glass bottles with the duckies. I haven't dropped one yet, but I can see where you would be concerned. That is the only water bottle that I've had great success with so far. The rest of them leak quite a bit in comparison. I also love watching the bubbles come up in the glass bottles.... Im so easily amused lol!

I had the hugest problem with constantly dripping water bottles. Right now I have a plastic one (also with a duck), and it's supposedly got a spring in it, so it's drip-resistant. It's working really well, so far. I hate the one I had before. It was covered in painted hamsters, rabbits, and guinea pigs, but the paint would chip off everywhere!

Loving that other people like the ducky (now all I can find is a carrot inside the bottle, and the carrot isn't nearly as cute). I'm easily amused too, really do enjoy watching the bubbles rise!! Actually, one of my piggies doesn't like the new blue water bottle I got him ... which doesn't leak at all!! So, I've been using an extra food bowl and putting that in their "jungle gym" during floor time. He definitely prefers the bowl of water. However, my other piggy likes to "re-arrange the furniture" and I'm afraid one of these days he is going to turn that bowl of water over and make a huge mess!!

Have you tried replacing the gasket in the bottle you've had for four years that just recently started leaking? Even silicone gaskets wear out eventually.

I just bought two of the Lixit Flip Top Water Bottles. They don't have the ball bearing in the end. Instead they have a Stainless Steel Lever Action Tip. They drink out of them the same way as the other, except they just move this lever instead of a ball. We have 3 guinea pigs and they all learned how to use them very fast. Also, it is a top fill so you don't have to take it off the cage, as well as it has markings on the side to keep track of how much they are drinking.

I use plastic water bottles (I think I got them at Walmart), and found that the larger the bottle, the less likely it is to leak. It's like the pressure of the water on the ball at the end of the spout keeps it from dripping. But I've seen plenty of pictures of people using small water bottles, so your mileage may vary.

Iv tried many water bottles and found that the best ones that dont leak are actually the cheap large bottles from walmart! They are the perfect size, plastic so I know they wont break if I drop them, light weight in comparison to the glass, and cheap! It was only like $2 something. I have never had it leak wither :)

I have a big, blue plastic one that drips from the tip. It isn't often, but it's enough to make a big wet spot around it! :(

You can try flipping the rubber gasket. Sometimes just doing that will stop it from dripping. The other thing I do is fill the bottle full, twist the cap back on and squeeze slightly so some of the water comes out of the spout and the bottle forms a vacuum. I save my receipt from new bottles in case they leak. Occasionally, you get a bad one that leaks no matter what you do. I don't think the brand makes a big difference. I think some just have manufacturing flaws.

I use the glass ducky bottle as well! lol I love that the ducky makes it easy to see the water level, and, so far, I haven't dropped it. I've had many different water bottles through the years and I've found that the larger the spout, the more they leak.

Another vote for the glass one with the duck! It is the best bottle I've tried, and I have 4 or 5 others I don't like as well. I also feel it harbors less germs as I can really clean it well and the plastic I am never sure if they are really clean.

I also feel it harbors less germs as I can really clean it well and the plastic I am never sure if they are really clean.

I agree completely! The plastic ones tend to get "crud" build up that is almost impossible to get clean, but the glass bottle is so easy! I just throw it in the dishwasher or rinse it with hot water!

for non leaking water bottles, try the 'water buddy" brand. it looks a little painful to drink out of to me, but my guineas drink just fine out of it just fine. also, you don't have to de attatch it from the cage to fill it up. the cap is on the top!!! i keep an old pop bottle filled with water by the cage which i just pour into the bottle when it gets low

I also have the glass bottle with the ducky inside. It has never leaked, I love it. I HAVE dropped it many times, a few times from a good height on a hard floor. It has never broken or even chipped. The only issue I have with it is that it sits awkwardly on the outside of the cage.

I thought it was just me buying cheap bottles.. they all leak and I can't get them to stay on the cage and they're always falling off and dripping... sometimes all of their water and making a HUGE mess...

I just got the big blue one from Walmart and it dripped almost all of it's water out first time I used it... WTH?

I just use a cheap water bottle called the "Critter Canteen" and it is blue. I have never had a problem with it leaking. I am very interested though, in this glass "duck inside" water bottle that many of you have and love! Do they sell these in Walmart, or online ? Would someone please post a link to where I can buy one too ?

I also have the glass bottle with the ducky inside. It has never leaked, I love it. I HAVE dropped it many times, a few times from a good height on a hard floor. It has never broken or even chipped. The only issue I have with it is that it sits awkwardly on the outside of the cage.
what brand is the glass one with the duck, or a good top loaded water bottle. :) sounds like it would make caring for the animals much easier!

One of mine came with the duck but it's no different than the rest of my bottles. Once in awhile, I buy a bottle that leaks and I just take it back. Whenever I put water in my bottles, I screw on the cap and turn it upright. I squeeze the bottle to create a vacuum. I turn the bottle back over so the spout is down and squeeze the bottle again so some water comes out. Then I attach it to the cage. It seems to keep water from leaking.

Another vote for the glass one with the duck! It is the best bottle I've tried, and I have 4 or 5 others I don't like as well. I also feel it harbors less germs as I can really clean it well and the plastic I am never sure if they are really clean.

Duffinvt--would you please paste a link to where I can look at one ? What is the name brand ?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.