Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Kitchen area: Best bedding

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have finally found someone in australia (YAY!) who makes cage liners so I will probably be getting some for my C and C cage. So far, I have been using shavings. They are great will abrobing pee and odour but the mess is driving me crazy! I have a 2x4 C and C cage for my guinea pigs (Pippa and Poppa), 2x3 part of the cage will be the fleece liner, but I will keep a 1x2 space a kitchen area since they tend to go to toilet where they eat. I am going to make a barrier from left over corplast (with a door) to stop the bedding from getting on the fleece. That's where my problem is. What bedding should I use in the kitchen area? What has worked best for you? Let me know what you have to say!

Liners are from: (broken link removed)
I'm thinking of using wood pellets... do these sound fine? -> (broken link removed)

The pigs are now 9 weeks old! Oh my little babies are growing up so fast!! ❤️

I use carefresh in my kitchen.

Just a heads up on that idea, because I have done it before. Be prepared for bedding to get all over the fleece still. They will drag it through the doorway from the kitchen. It was never horrible for me when that happened. Fairly simple to clean up. Just something to keep in mind. Maybe somehow you could put the "kitchen" area lower by raising up the rest of the cage or something to help?

I am unfamiliar with those wood pellets but unless you could find out what types of wood are ground up and put into that, I wouldn't do it.

Glad you found cage liners! They are awesome! :)

Thankyou! I guess I am prepared for some bedding spill but I think the barrier will really help to keep it off.

I use Carefresh or generic Carefresh in one kitchen for two of my girls. My other girl has Sunseed Sunthing Special Fresh World Bedding in her kitchen area. They both work very well.

Thankyou! Anyone else have any other options??

I use Carefresh or generic Carefresh in one kitchen for two of my girls. My other girl has Sunseed Sunthing Special Fresh World Bedding in her kitchen area. They both work very well.

These are the only beddings I use and they both work great at both absorbing and smell.

"Yesterday's News" is a recycled paper type of bedding much like your wood pellet bedding. I would look for bedding made out of recycled paper or paper fibers like carefresh or yesterdays news. They will absorb better and they are healthier. I have very easy access to these products. Since you are in Australia I understand you may not so maybe looking for something along those lines might help.

I use Breeders Choice Kitty Litter, it's the Australian equivalent of Yesterday's News. I spend about $19 for a 30L bag and that lasts 2 and a half bedding changes (I have two kitty litter trays instead of a Corflute tray). If I was using a corflute tray I'd probably only use half that...the kitty litter trays are quite deep :p

Hye Aertyn! its nice to see some more active aussies on this website! I have a petbarn just around the corner from my place. They also sell it, but I'm not sure for how much. I will definately consider that!

The 30L bags are on special for $16 this week at PetBarn. I'm picking up a few tomorrow before work, otherwise I'm stuck buying the 24L bags from Coles for $18 :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.