Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Care: Soup Ladle: The Ultimate Pooper Scooper for Fleece

webjetter

Cavy Slave
Tip Type
Care​
Tip Title
Soup Ladle: The Ultimate Pooper Scooper for Fleece​
Your Tip
Since I use fleece bedding and don't like the idea of vacuuming the poopies, I use a plastic soup serving ladel to scoop the droppings out. I dump the droppings into a small container (sour cream, margarine, etc.) and then either flush them or place them in a plastic bag to toss. This system works great for me because the ladel slides across the fleece collecting everything. For tight corners I use a plastic teaspoon. I've found this method to be a quick, clean, cheap way to tidy up.

Every time I start ladle-ing, the girlies bounce over in curiosity to check out the fun thing I'm doing. I have to hold the container up in the air in my other hand because if I set it down in the cage while scooping, they take turns seeing who can knock the whole thing over! As we all know, pigaroos are very curious critters.​
Where did you get the idea?
Myself​
Link to source of idea (optional)
-​
Permission to use your tip?
Yes​

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
I knew this tip would be on here before long, since I've read of several people who were excited about this idea. If my hand vac ever breaks down, this will be my next choice. No more sweeping like I used to do--it stirred so much hair up into the air!

Furry gets so excited when I vacuum that I may have to try the ladel anyway. Lately she insists upon trying to taste the vac and popcorn right in the spot I'm cleaning. On second thought, she would probably try to ride in the ladel, too.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
This is a great idea for fleece! I am going to try the vaccum method first, if it fails i will consider this helpful tip!

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Sounds interesting. I use a hoover but it is such a loud one that I hate using it. Sometimes I want to spot clean their cage but someone is in bed in the other room so a soup ladle would come in handy for that reason too! I'll give it a try.

iGuineapig

Cavy Slave
I use a dust pan, but this sounds like a good idea too :)

ku_gal

Cavy Slave
That sounds like very creative idea. I just might have to try that! Great tip!

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I love re-use household items I don't use for their intended purpose anymore but I never thought of using a kitchen spoon for a scooper! Good plan!:)
But, I have to say, that I don't think I'll be accepting any invitations to your house for soup!lol

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
We tried this and it works great with our bedding, which is fleece sewn to mattress pads. Thanks!

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I've tried the soup ladle, but I've found that a plastic half-gallon cider (or orange juice) carton cut off with the handle still attached works great as a "pooper scooper".

wonderwhiskers

Cavy Slave
I've always used a spoon haha! Will try both these idea's!

Vanilla eXe

Cavy Slave
That's clever. I might try that until I can get a hand vacuum. I hope you label that soup spoon though!

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
thanks for the tip! I find myself emptying my dirt devil 5-6 times per cage cleaning. That and it seems to not want work all that well for me.

teyah

Cavy Slave
The soup ladle works so well!!

Often I find that the fleece runs away with my brush or the vacuum, so I sometimes use toilet roll cardboard -my piggies are really not interested in them- with a piece of paper stuck on one end, and I just scoop and fill it up, then throw it away. It's such a cheap 'pooper-scooper-holder' that you can use and dispose of.

I find 'non-disruptive' methods like this to be a lot better... I love the ladle idea though, I've been using that now!:D

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I thought it was real weird, but I did try it with a cheap ladle that I have that has a flat side. Works really well.

delilaharcade

Cavy Slave
Great idea!

I have also found that using an empty toilet paper roll works like a charm. I just tape one end to close it and then run the toilet paper roll horizontally along the fleece. Picks everything up and then I can just throw it away.

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
So I read this earlier and came home to try it. I LOVE it. Thank you for this tip.

madakri

Cavy Slave
I've tried the soup ladle, but I've found that a plastic half-gallon cider (or orange juice) carton cut off with the handle still attached works great as a "pooper scooper".

Excellent idea wheek weak!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.