Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Switched from fleece to aspen

Blog entry from old forum

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if this will be a permanent switch or not. This is the second cage change with aspen and I have enough for two more. There are pros and cons to both.

The fleece is more cost effective and attractive, but sweeping up poos was beginning to become hard to keep up with and I like that you don't have to be so on top of it with aspen. Scoop out the wet areas every other day and you're good to go. Between working a full time job, having a 5th grader who has homework, family time, and being 4½ months pregnant and becoming less dextrous by the day lol, there just aren't enough hours in the day to be sweeping up little turds all the time. I also didn't seem to be getting the odor control that I was getting before and I even have 3 sets of pretty new fleece.

The cons of aspen are that it takes a bit longer to scoop it out than fleece (but is faster to put back in), and of course the cost. So far we haven't gotten too much on the floor. More hay gets on the floor than bedding.

So we'll see where this experiment takes us.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.