Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog My First Post - About My Pigs!

Blog entry from old forum

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Here's my first post! I, until recently, couldn't figure out how to post to my blog. Well, with my newfound knowledge, I will be sure to post more often.

I want to tell you a little bit about my pigs. After all, that's why I'm here. :heart:

Yesterday, I got my very first foster piggy. Her name is Jasmine, and my is she feisty! A bit of an attitude, I would say. She's also quite bipolar - one second she'll let you pet her and is all sweet and cuddly; the next, she's grinding her teeth and acting all agravated. I hope she's just still getting used to me and her new environment.

I built a whole new cage for Jas, an L-shaped cage with about a 3x5 for my two sows and a 2x4 for her. Looks like THIS. Except with only the bottom level. Once I get more fosters, I'll add the next level.

My "assignment" is to get Jasmine much more comfortable with handling. I have a lot of work ahead of me. :sorry:

Here she is, in her calm state:
https://javascript<b></b>:openPhotoView('15911785');void(0);

Now, about my own pigs. I have two [supposed to be] bonded sows named Maggie and Sophia. Maggie is about 4 y/o and Sophia is about 2. Maggie is quite cuddly and mellow, while Sophia is more active and hyper.

Lately, they've been having some dominance issues, with snips and squeaks and the whole nine yards. They're working out their issues, and I hope I won't need to separate them. :ashamed:

Here's Maggie:

...and Sophia:

Well, that's it for now!

She's b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

Adorable! Kudos to you for taking her in! Good luck getting her used to being handled! She will come around with such a great person looking after her! Try holding her for short sessions and gradually increase the time. So day 1 would be only say 3 mintues, day 2 would be 4 minutes etc. Let us know how she does, keep us updated!

Thanks, all, for your kind replies! Today, I held her twice, AM & PM, for 3 minutes. She did better. She's definitely getting more acclimated to me and her new cage. Tomorrow, it's on to 5 minutes! (Unless she gets squirrly, then we'll go down to 4 minutes.)

Ahh, what a life. :)

Hows the pig training going?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't figure out how to post! I have a piggy named Sophia too! Good for you for being a foster mom!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.