Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog The elephant seals

Blog entry from old forum

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I went for a nice hike today, I didn't see anyone on the trail. It was beautiful as usual. The parking lot has been closed for a week now due to the elephant seals taking it over. I'm all about the wild life having their space. What gets me are the tourists that think they can touch them and get as close as possible. It makes me angry, I live here for a reason. I just wish people would respect the local wildlife.

It drives me nuts.

animallover2424

Cavy Slave
Maybe you should protest against tourists and stuff like that or maybe you can make the government get involved and make it a law not to touch the wild life??? Just hope everything works out for the better and that the wild life gets some peace!!! =)

Katie_Kutthroat

Cavy Slave
I would be so scared to touch a seal for the simple fact that they are wild and who knows what they can do if they feel threatened. Not only they are getting in their space but their putting themselves in danger.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
People are trying to touch them? That's a Darwin award waiting to happen, right there...

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Aren't people afraid to touch them? I would be terrified just to be a meter away!
I'd surely take a nice pic, but I wouldn't touch them!

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
The seals can do a lot of damage if they get a hold of you. :eek:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
So the elephant seals have continued to frequent the beach and most people are leaving them alone. They can do major damage, most are about 600lbs. My mom volunteers with the marine wild life and I have had the priviledge with helping rescue hurt animals. tourists are the worst on them. Sometimes when they are trying to give birth people will end up scaring the mothers away causing them to abandon their off spring.

There are laws protecting the wildlife and people are on top of putting signs up around them on a regular basis to keep people at a safe distance. They can get fined if they get caught. I typically call the Rangers as they all know me from work. It is what it is, I just wish the tourists would leave the local spots alone and at the bare minnimum not touch the wild life.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.