Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Guinea pig liquid bloat

SofJae

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Today I have just found out that my little boy Twix has some sort of liquid bloat. Today is Sunday so pharmacies and vets are closed. He was acting normally this morning, but later on he started to go off of his food, and wouldn't jump on his shelf. Then I read about liquid bloat and shook him a little, and I can hear water inside of him. I don't know what to. Any suggestions would be great thanks,

Sofie

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get some infant simethicone -- I believe it's called Infacol in the UK. It's usually used for gas bloating, but may help in this situation, and a little won't hurt.

You need to put your pig on some sort of vibrating pad -- even an electric toothbrush under a small pad will work.

These are stop-gap measures only -- you'll need to see an exotic vet tomorrow, or a knowledgeable emergency vet tonight if he gets worse. If he's not pooping, don't hand-feed him, but if he is pooping but has stopped eating, you need to get some food into him. See gl/handfeeding.html for instructions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.