Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello!

BigBossPants

Cavy Slave
Hi all, greetings from NZ! Im typing on a cell phone so please excuse potential typos. My name is Vicki, and I have a male guinea called Norman. Here is his story so far: He came to me after he and his 3 brothers were sold to a family with young children (I work in a pet store, no hating!). They were returned a few days later because they were "fighting badly" and it was upsetting the kids. I think the cage they had was too small, I wasnt there the day of sale. They had wounds and the boss decided they weren't fit for sale and would be pts :( I said heck no and took the worst 2 home, admittedly slightly unprepared. I have kept rats for many years and had other guineas short term.
Their wounds healed quickly and they got on fine but sadly Normans brother passed away over the first winter :(
I then got norm a bigger, sturdier hutch and some things to keep him entertained. He briefly lived with a Netherland dwarf rabbit (rescue) but she was satan incarnate so we seperated them. About a year later we built an aviary off our little shed and used it to house a flightless pigeon (rescue) and norm shared with him for a while. Turns out the pigeon liked gp food and wouldn't let norman eat! I tried many food dishes in various places, even gave norm a couple inside hjs hiding cave, but then the pigeon would squeeze into his cave to steal it, even though there were dishes all over! When I went to move norm back to his own hutch I noticed some wounds on his shoulders, and thought the pigeon had een pecking him. Pulled him out of his hay pile to check a couple of days after and he had lost a lot of fur and was all crusty! I was mortified, my poor boy! He has a bad case of mites, so now is indoors in my spare room in a puppy crate with soft fleece bedding and lots of good food. He has been treated and is putting on weight and healing up nicely.
Its been a hard life but from now on he gets the best!

hello and welcome

I don't want to welcome you with hate, because you sound like such a lovely caring person, but guinea pigs should never under any circumstances be housed with other species. You learnt the hard way, sadly, that since they're prey animals with no back bone (pun alert, they have weak spines), they can't defend themselves and will be bullied. It also risks cross species infection of things guinea pigs aren't supposed to catch, and they aren't good at fending off illnesses as it is. I hope Norman will be getting a buddy of his own kind soon?

Bad news aside, welcome to the forum! We have a couple of members from New Zealand who can clue you in on where to get the best supplies etc. @RodentCuddles runs a guinea pig rescue in Auckland and has all the info you could possibly need about owning a pig in NZ :)

I think I have been in touch with her already on her Facebook page, which has been most helpful. Unfortunately yes I have learnt the hard way :( I have found there is a lot of misinformation/conflicting info out there! Norman will be getting a friend once he has fully recovered, either a desexed female or a pair of younger males seems like a good plan. Thoughts on this? I know his condition is my fault so I want to do right by him, im feeling quite guilty

Hi and welcome to the forum! If you decide on another male I would get him one male companion, it's easier to get a pair of males to bond than a trio.

Welcome to the forum! You are right, there is a lot of misinformation out there and you have come to a great place to learn! We have all made mistakes- what is important is that you obviously care very much for him and are doing your best to learn and give him a great life! He is lucky he has someone who cares so much :)

I second if you get a male buddy for him get one other young one. I had TERRIBLE luck with my trio!

If you have a chance we'd love to see pictures of your little guy!

Thanks! I thought it would be the other way around, im so used to rats social habits lol. Is it easier to introduce a baby male or an adult male?
I have some pics I will try to upload, he's looking a bit bald tho!

Welcome to the forum! You cared so much for him and are doing your best! We all learn from our mistakes which you have! Get another young male but just one! I would love to see a pigture of him!

Babies are easier because they are less likely to fight for dominance. If there are local rescues you can request if they have any pregnant females to apply for a baby if it's male. That's how I got one of mine, since I specifically wanted a baby for that reason.

Hello!Here he is in his carry cage (not where he lives) just after I brought him inside. Poor nekkid piglet

Hello!
This is his cage, sorry it needs a clean in this pic! It's slightly different now, I have replaced the cardboard box with a plastic hut, and removed the wood and covered one end of the fuzzy tube so its more secure-feeling. A work in progress

i did an intro in march
i introduced a baby male that chock took to really fast
he panics if he doesn't know where spike is in the cage, he starts calling out for him and he doesn't stop till spike comes back in to his limited sight range again.
they have the ocational fight but they get along the rest of the time.
its much easyer to intro a baby to an adult rather than another adult as the baby will be submissive towards the older pig
thats my experience though, everyone is different after all.
just thought i would shair my story just so you know it is possible to have a well bonded pair.
if you have any other questions, we're all here to learn from each other so don't feel bad if you think your asking to many questions we're all here to learn from each other.

Welcome to the forum!

Once little Norman is better and it all looks good then we do have two single de-sexed males who are up for adoption, and sadly six girls on pregnancy watch with three of them looking like they're pregnant.

I myself don't bother worrying if the other guinea is a baby or an adult, either can work out it's more of matching up the right guineas and doing the intros right.
A good thing with adult/adult intros is that with males if they are both over 1 year then there isn't the whole puberty hassle which is a pain in the butt!

(We'd be happy at looking into driving possible buddies down to you (after forms filled in and making sure everything is OK), we're currently seeing if we can catch a plane to Wellington to get two little guineas to a possible new home...I do know of the pet bus but don't trust it)

Thanks for your story Maddy, your boys sound so sweet! I hope Norman will take to a friend well, he seemed pretty good with his brother who came home with me, they had the odd scrap too but mainly just posturing, etc.
RodentCuddles, I'm keen to adopt rather than buy from a store or breeder, but looking at your adoption criteria I'm not sure I will qualify :( but I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Presumably it would be easier to introduce a desexed male than an entire one? Is there a reason that nobody has suggested desexed females? Will Norm harass her?
I measured his cage and it is 90x60cm which is 0.54cm square, so not really big enough... but it is tall, if I add a (low) mezanine floor will that be acceptable? I'm not in a financial position to buy a new home for him sadly but we are looking at moving up north (whangarei) and getting some land, so if/when that happens I will be making a purpose built enclosure for them. Also if the house is on the market I can't be having massive indoor enclosures right now, so am limited to working with what I have.
Approximately how long can I expect for his hair to grow back? Do I need to wait for it to ALL grow back before getting a buddy or just be sure he is free of mites?
Thanks again, sorry for the novel lol

Hello!He didn't even give me a chance to put it in the holder :p
Hello!His cage mach 2, need to wash some fleece!
Hello!Mmmm apple
Hello!So cute! He likes his tunnel
Hello!A better shot of his baldness, his skin is nice and smooth now, I have been putting cream on the red bit and it's improving

Hello!Om nom nom!!!
He's a lucky boy, I went out in the dark and rain to get his grass :p He was wheeping so I cleaned his cage and thought I would take some new pics :D

have you considdered getting your pig a friend??its important that they have company

Neutering pigs doesn't effect their behaviour in any way, so it's a moot point trying to find him a neutered male buddy. The reason no one is suggesting a spayed female is because they're not very common, spaying is an invasive and risky procedure and usually isn't performed unless the sow has ovarian cysts, or another medical reason.

Also, I'd cut back on the apple if I were you, it seems like you're feeding a lot of it and too much sugar can cause stomach issues (guinea pigs aren't built to process sugar) and diabetes in the long run.

Maddy - Yes he will be getting a friend as soon as he is better.
Ok, I will cut down the apple. I have been trying to put weight on him which is the main reason for feeding it lots, plus it was about all I had in the fridge over the last week. I will try to stick with greens :) How often would you say is ok to feed apple?

glad your getting a friend for him
my pigs get 2 bowls of veg a day to make sure that the baby one i have gets some as well as sthe older pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.