Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Babies Lucy and Lena

LenaAndLucy

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone,

Last Saturday my little sister got new guinea pigs. Of course, since I'm her older sister it is my responsibility to take care of them properly. Its been a pretty interesting ride, from Youtube videos that teach you how to hold them properly to discovering just how much poop such a small baby can make per hour and how incredibly small pet-store cages are. To date, I got rid of the eye-catching, colorful food for Oxbow Cavey Cuisine and vitamin C tables. I also ordered an 8 ft2 cage from Amazon. My biggest regret is that while I was at college, my parents (who had no knowledge of cavies) bought them from Petsmart instead of adopting them from the Animal Welfare Association. My hope is to adopt new companions for Lucy and Lena later on, if things go well with them.

To date I have discovered that Lucy is the alpha female and that in-spite of this they get along wonderfully. My main problem is that they want nothing to do with me or my little sis (who's 12). I have discovered their love for Green-leaf romaine lettuce and have been trying to get them to eat it from my hand, and only achieving success with Lucy. i have read that this is normal, as not only are these piggies prey animals, but also 4-5 month old babies. I attempted to pick up Lena today, and she made such a frightened, high-pitched squeak that it broke my heart. Is there anything I can do to make the girls feel at home?

Thank you so much for your helps, it means a lot to me & my girls.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Trust me your fine picking them even though they squeak. Your definitely not hurting them some just don't like being picked up. You could try picking them up with a cuddle sack or something. Also some do the piggy elevator. Just take a box cut a hole in it but leave a flap so you can close it. Then just shoo one inside. Also placing veggies or treats inside help. This will make them feel more secure. Yes they are prey animals and also have poor eyesight. Picking them up and handling them will help make them more tame. Just take your time some will take longer than others.

DawnM

Cavy Slave
I just had my first successful floor time with my pigger and I have had him since Jan 12. Finally he didn't just sit there terrified he actually explored and really enjoyed himself even trying to break thru a barricade. Yours will be fine and some do take longer (like mine) to feel secure.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do turn them both upside down and compare their private parts. Pet shops are notorious for mis-sexing guinea pigs.

Good luck with them!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum!

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome :d

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.