Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello !

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
Hello! We added a guinea pig, named Squeakers aka Squeaky to our household 3 wks ago. He is the first guinea pig we've had, and has fit in quite nicely (although, we do keep him separated from our 2 dogs, because they are overly interested in him). He was 12 wks old (at least that is what I was told) when I purchased him 3 wks ago for my daughter. It has been a nightmare. He lost the ability to use his back legs exactly one week after we got him. Took him to the vet, and it was severe Vit C deficiency that I am assuming, had to come from whoever bred him. Thankfully, the Vit C oral solution helped him, and about 3 days later he was able to get up and wobble a bit, but is back to walking and running like normal. Exactly a week after that, we were back at the vet because Scabies erupted and it's the worst case the vet has ever seen. So, poor fella is on a Vit C oral solution daily (50 mg), had an injection of ivermectin last week and 10 days of twice a day antibiotics for 10 days....but the mites have taken their toll, and he is a bloody mess that wants you to hold him, but it hurts him so bad because of the pain he is in. So, talked to 2 vets yesterday, and he got a dose of Revolution this morning (instead of his weekly treatment of Ivermectin) and have to go pick up another round of antibiotics. He'll have another dose or two of Ivermectin (orally over the next month) and hopefully that will be the end of this hot mess. He is the most loving little creature. He squeals when he knows it's time for his salad in the morning and at night, and squeals when he wants to you to come get him and love on him. My daughter snuggles with him every day when she gets home, and he'll just lay there and bump you with his nose, wanting you to pet him more. So, as soon as I can figure out how to resize pictures so they're the right size to post, I'll put up pictures of him. My daughter chose him because of his coloring and the fact he has a cool stripe of orangish brown that runs right across one eye and a dab of that color on top of his black head (he's a tortie). Have learned lots of helpful things by lurking on the forums the past 3 wks, and look forward to "meeting" more people and sharing stories and tips.

Wow, welcome to the forum and I hope Squeaky feels better fast!

I am glad Squeaky moved into your house where he will be taken care of! I hope to see pictures soon.

I finally figured out how to make a pic small enough on my ancient computer, so I could post a pic of Squeaky. He is getting so big, so fast. After 4 vet visits (one a week for the first month), a month of antibiotics, a oral dose of Ivermectin and 2 topical treatments of Revolution, we are finally mite free and have peach fuzz hair growing back in...WOOT WOOT! He's such a funny little guy, and I'm glad we're out for summer tomorrow, so hopefully he will enjoy floor time more than just hiding in his pigloo and venturing out here and there and running back in and hiding. Once I can resize more of his pics, I'll add them to an album. I think he has pretty cool markings, but I might be a tad biased =)

welcome, and i'm so glad your piggie is doing better. he's lucky to have such a good new mom to take care of him.

hello and welcome :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.