Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi everyone!

jme51987

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm new here but I researched this site and many others before I got my adorable Betty. I had been thinking about adopting a guinea pig for a while, and I've done a lot of research on them and thought it would be a fun pet to have. (I'm a new pet owner in general, I've had my share of fish and I recently adopted a hamster back in September, Heisenberg, who I love and is a ball of energy.)

Unfortunately, I didn't adopt which totally goes against all my morals, but, I just happened to be in Petco the other day picking up some hamster food when I noticed this cute little piggy all by herself in a little Pigloo. I couldn't leave her there and I bought her and a ton of fun little toys, a huge cage, and all the fixings.

Betty is such a sweet little lump and loves to be played with. I'm having a problem now though...

The day after I bought her I noticed that she had some crust in her eyes, (sorry for being gross) So I fed her a bunch of yummy veggies and some oranges thinking maybe she needed some vitamins because she's been cooped up in the pet store too long.

It's now 4 days later and she's sneezy and still has gunk in her eyes. I called Petco because on their receipt there is a 15 day policy in case my new pet gets sick. Well, their policy is that I have to RETURN her and buy her back, "If she gets better." IF?! She'll get better, it's an upper respiratory infection, which she can get better from with medication if it's caught in time, however, it's going to cost some money to get her better. I'm really not comfortable with RETURNING my pet like she's some sort of inanimate object so I'm just bringing her to my vet and paying the bill so that I know she will be okay.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I find it to be completely ridiculous that Petco has this policy...at least places like Petsmart have the Banfield Vet Center already in some stores, but I'm just totally blown away that Petco just thinks I can replace my current pet without a second thought. It's so wrong and I can't believe it's even legal.

Anyway, this is Betty and I'm totally obsessed. I hope she feels better soon, I have a vet appointment tomorrow night, so wish us luck! 1912187_658684196095_1204314914_n.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, that's Petco standard operating policy. PetSmart, too. And it's all too common for them to sell sick, and/or missexed, and/or pregnant pigs, and/or pigs with parasites, and then provide substandard vet care when the owners complain.

It's perfectly legal, and it can be stopped if people don't buy pets from pet stores. Those pets come from breeding mills where the sows are kept continually pregnant until they're too old to breed, and then killed. The pigs are in crowded, unsanitary conditions. But when people buy from the pet stores, a demand is created, and the stores keep ordering from the supplier, and more and more sick pigs are sold.

The next time you get a pig, please consider getting one from a rescue or a shelter. There are enough homeless pigs in the world that another one never has to be deliberately bred -- accidental pregnancies would take care of the supply.

melynda

Cavy Slave
Yeah. I got Poe from Petsmart and realized after a few days he had mites and a fungal infection (both). I also chose not to return him and buy him back. Treated him myself, found this forum, and learned my lesson about pet store pigs!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Actuall in my experience banfield doesn't know how to diagnose exotics. Every time I went there they couldn't find out a thing. A vet even told me I had a girl when in fact was a boy. It took me 5 years and a surgery to find it out.

You deffinetly want to make sure the vet is also an exotic vet. Dog/cat vets usually have no clue what they are doing. Make sure they are a qualified exotic vet. Don't be afraid to ask questions or even ask to see their license.

Pet stores are natorious for selling sick pets, and most do have a return policy. Which I think is stupid and just plain wrong like they are a product. Which that is what they look at them as. And most come from mills and have been living in horrable conditions. And will missguide people in thinking things are okay when in fact are not.

I bought a guinea pig from super pet and turned out she was pregnent. Sadly she didn't make it through delivery. And her babies were still born and 2 of them were not fully developed (this is gonna be nasty) but the 2 only had a spine and skull it was like only half of them was developed. There are tons of videos of mills where these animals come from and it is a nightmare and that's putting it nicely.

jme51987

Cavy Slave
Oh I know, I just saw her and my heart melted and I felt bad that she was just there all by herself and I can't believe that they just don't care. Lesson learned I guess.

jme51987

Cavy Slave
Omg, that's so sad.
I called the VCA near my house and they told me that their exotic vet was only in once every 2 weeks, so she referred me to the VCA a few towns away and I set up an appointment with their exotic vet that is always there. :)
I'm sorry that happened to you! ugh, that's just awful.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Love your hamsters name, major Breaking Bad fan over here ;)

I'm so glad you didn't let them treat little Betty, it could have been a death sentence for her. Make sure you get a probiotic such as bene-bac to combat the effects of antibiotics. Antibiotics can effect whether or not a guinea pig will eat, and they should really be eating the majority of the time, so probiotics usually help with that.

jme51987

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Love your hamsters name, major Breaking Bad fan over here ;)

I'm so glad you didn't let them treat little Betty, it could have been a death sentence for her. Make sure you get a probiotic such as bene-bac to combat the effects of antibiotics. Antibiotics can effect whether or not a guinea pig will eat, and they should really be eating the majority of the time, so probiotics usually help with that.

Thank you!! Haha, I am too and I actually adopted him the day the show ended, so I felt it was necessary haha.

Thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to ask lots of questions at the vet :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Also ask the exotics vet to make sure of her gender. Since she's a pet store piggie just be aware if she's female she may have been in with male piggies. She's very cute, I can see why you got her out of there!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.