Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Bloody Nail

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
Bloody Nail

Bloody NailBloody Nail

So yesterday, I noticed that one of my guinea pigs what looked like a bloody nail. I also found some blood on her toe as well and the toe looks a little swollen. It doesn't feel like the nail is loose and I hadn't clipped her nails in a few days. She's still moving around on it and eating and if I touch it, it doesn't overly bother her more than when I typically touch her. The toe isn't warm to the touch either (not sure if that's a sign of infection in guinea pigs like it is in humans). Has anyone seen something like this before?

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
I took a closer look and it look like she split her nail

Rywen

Cavy Slave
You may need to soak it and keep an eye on it to watch for infections, @bpatters may have some advice on this.

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
I was picking her up and I guess the nail got caught on something and the whole thing came off! It was bleeding quite a bit and I think it finally stopped.. Is there anything I'm supposed to do?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't clip my girls nails. I take her to a tech. I found a little blood on the fleece last year and took her to the vet. She had to use some tool to really take off some nail to where it was damaged, and some skin was left exposed. It was uncomfortable for a day but no meds was needed luckily after they used that power tool on it.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@mercurybubbles8 if its still bleeding you can put corn starch or flour on it (if you don't have styptic powder) to help it stop. If the toe swells, gets hot or looks red it's most likely infected and she needs to see an exotics vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.