Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Regular card board box ok?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm still trying to deter her from chewing her kitchen coroplast. It's driving me nuts. I cut a piece of the box the hay came in, regular brown cardboard box, and so she's chewing it. I assume it's ok? It's not a lot of eating if any.

Artista

Cavy Slave

pinky

Cavy Slave
Corrugated cardboard is not safe for them to chew. The cardboard can contain tiny shards of glass or metal and the glue that's used to bind it is loaded with bacteria. I knew someone involved with our rescue who worked in cardboard manufacturing and she warned us not to put corrugated cardboard in our cages.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Corrugated cardboard is not safe for them to chew. The cardboard can contain tiny shards of glass or metal and the glue that's used to bind it is loaded with bacteria. I knew someone involved with our rescue who worked in cardboard manufacturing and she warned us not to put corrugated cardboard in our cages.

Where can I get non corrugated cardboard pieces? The hardware supply store near me doesn't carry it and I can't find any online. Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The binder spines that are used for reports work well to clip down over the coroplast. You can get them at Staples, Office Depot, etc.

Artista

Cavy Slave
The binder spines that are used for reports work well to clip down over the coroplast. You can get them at Staples, Office Depot, etc.

Ironically I don't have a problem with the long edges. She loves the shorter 1-2 inches edges that are at the front of the kitchen. That's why the only thing I can think of is taping a piece of cardboard to it so she can munch on it. I don't know what else to do with these short edges. I tried rubbing vinegar on them but that didn't work. She's pretty determined to chew these small edges down. :/

Demonic Hope

Cavy Gazer
Try lemon juice. I own gerbils which have a metal cage topper on top of their aquarium and when my gerbil started chewing the bar for treats that was the only thing that stopped him. You could also try that Bitter Apple spray they make for dogs and horses to stop them chewing.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Try lemon juice. I own gerbils which have a metal cage topper on top of their aquarium and when my gerbil started chewing the bar for treats that was the only thing that stopped him. You could also try that Bitter Apple spray they make for dogs and horses to stop them chewing.

She isn't fazed by anything. I tried lemon juice, white vinegar and apple cider vinegar to no avail. I think it's wild how she doesn't really do much chewing on the larger lengths but chooses these 1-2" areas. It's almost like she knows it's a harder fix... :/

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
This may not work but it's worth a try. Does Mooshy have any veggies she absolutely can't stand?

I once tried adding cilantro to my Penelope's dinner and she acted like that stuff was satanic lol I had to pick it out but she left some lettuce pieces that still smelled like the cilantro. If Mooshy also has a veggie that she hates, maybe try rubbing that on the coro?

Demonic Hope

Cavy Gazer
What about doing the binders like bpatters suggested and cut them down to the right size

Sugarbunnylet

Cavy Slave
I sprayed the edge of mine with "Bitter Spray" you get at the pet store, made to spray on dog and cats on their wounded areas so they dont lick or chew their bindings and medical wraps while healing. Its like a bitter apple spray, lasts a long time in the piggie cage

Also I give piggies cardboard to play with all the time, just make sure there is no printed stuff on it (ink) or stickers.
Otherwise, lets be real here, saying thats bad for them could be an extreme opinion. You're not giving them something out of a trash can.
Anyone can be skeptical on whats good/bad for your OWN babies in that regard.

I'm a bit of a naturalist, I give my pigs dirt, grass, WOOD (man people here hate that I do that) they are our babies but also animals, cardboard is just paper, relax, its A-OK :crazy:

♥ Sugar

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
The issue with deterrents is a coupla licks and it's gone.

Unless she is eating a lot of it, I simply would stop worrying about it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I sprayed the edge of mine with "Bitter Spray" you get at the pet store, made to spray on dog and cats on their wounded areas so they dont lick or chew their bindings and medical wraps while healing. Its like a bitter apple spray, lasts a long time in the piggie cage

Also I give piggies cardboard to play with all the time, just make sure there is no printed stuff on it (ink) or stickers.
Otherwise, lets be real here, saying thats bad for them could be an extreme opinion. You're not giving them something out of a trash can.
Anyone can be skeptical on whats good/bad for your OWN babies in that regard.

I'm a bit of a naturalist, I give my pigs dirt, grass, WOOD (man people here hate that I do that) they are our babies but also animals, cardboard is just paper, relax, its A-OK :crazy:

♥ Sugar

I'm sorry but I just have to ask...dirt? Why would you feed your guinea pigs soil?

Sugarbunnylet

Cavy Slave
They dont eat it silly. I take them outside sometimes.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Someone who was involved with our rescue worked for a company that manufactured corrugated cardboard. She warned us not to allow our guinea pigs to eat it because it could contain bits of glass, metal and debris. She said the glue contains starch and could be contaminated with bacteria. She also said when metal on metal would rub on the presses, the metal would actually wear down and the parts would need to be replaced and that metal debris would end up in the cardboard. She said corrugated cardboard used in packaging isn't intended for human consumption so it's not regulated like packaging for food products. Unless there have been new regulations, I don't doubt what she told us is true.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
They dont eat it silly. I take them outside sometimes.

'I give my guinea pigs all sorts...dirt, grass, wood'. That sort of implies you feed them it. But okay :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.