Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Need some help separating babies

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
We recently rescued 2 guinea pigs, the 1 was pregnant and here's her pups:

Need some help separating babies

We named them Miracle and Strident but can't tell who's a girl / who's a boy. I need some help because this week I need to introduce the boy (if there's 1, which we think there is) to the Dad so the Mom don't get prego again. So, here's the body parts of Strident:

Need some help separating babiesNeed some help separating babiesNeed some help separating babies

Attachments

DSCF0005.jpg

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
Here's the body parts of Miracle:

Need some help separating babiesNeed some help separating babiesNeed some help separating babies

Sorry the pics aren't that good we really tried to do our best here LOL I really truly appreciate any help. I've never taken on a preggy Mommy before and while the experience has been fun I don't want to repeat it ;)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We can't tell anything at all from those pictures. You'll have to get clearer pictures if we're going to be able to help you. You can also look at www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

But in the meantime, keep the adults separated. She can get pregnant again within an hour or so of giving birth, and back-to-back breeding is exceedingly hard on sows and the second litter of pups.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's very difficult to sex a pup right off the bat, it's best to check every other day to see how things are 'forming' so to speak. If you aren't 100% on the boy/girl situation when it gets to three weeks, best to separate the possible boy just in case I would think, but not with their dad because if it's a girl, that's just more trouble.

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
They're going to be 3 weeks this week. I can't have 3 cages. I don't have the ability to do that, which is why I have to figure this sexing out. I'm not sure how to get better pictures. The more I read, the more confused I get

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You may need someone to help you take photos, turn off your flash and just use a well lit area. Your photos are too white washed to see what is going on there.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If your computer has a good quality webcam, you could hold the pigs up in front of that and that way you can see what you're photographing etc.

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
We figured out what's wrong... These babies are 3 weeks old and they're newborn size. I held 1 up and it's only as big (lengthwise) as the Mama's rear end. We got her late in her pregnancy and I don't think she was eating right. I know that they're all eating right now thanks to this forum and links from it telling me so. This is what's making it so dang hard to sex them though. As for the camera, it's going to have to wait because I can't get it to take any better pics :(

Another question... Considering how small they are and the fact that the male organ isn't coming out at all when we check / press on it / feel around am I safe in leaving them with their Mom and checking them daily until something does show itself?

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
Roan and Semi Lethal?!

Sorry to be posting up a storm tonight but I'm trying my best to research and figure this all out. I've come to think that the piggies we rescued: 1 is a roan and 1 is a semi lethal. The babies the Mama had seem seriously premature. I'm going to post pics...

Is Mama a roan? (This is the cage that they were transported in NOT living in it!!!)

Is Daddy semi lethal?

These babies are way too small, appearing to be the same size/weight as newborns and they're 3 weeks old now and it's almost impossible to sex them. I posted this before but I'm wondering if they should stay with the Mama longer since they don't have any parts popping out yet and aren't mounting (my daughter and I are literally home and someone is up almost every hour of the day so we'd know)

Thoughts welcome!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Roan and Semi Lethal?!

I can't really tell from the picture of the mom whether she's a roan or not. But any pig that has any white on it whatsoever can possibly carry a roan gene.

The pups don't look like lethals. The one in the person's right hand definitely is not -- it's not all white. Lethals generally have microphthalmia, which is small or missing eyes, and they're blind. The eye I can see looks normal.

It takes guinea pigs about three seconds to mate, so if you were across the room, you couldn't prevent it. I wouldn't leave them together, and if you can't tell what either of them is, you'd best put them in three pens. Have you looked at www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm?

Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. I'm merging this with your other thread.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Try taking the photo farther away. It looks like your camera can't focus so close.Ask someone else to hold them while you take the photo. If you're using a cell phone, wait for the camera to focus before you take the photo. My phone has a white box in the center that will turn green. Once it does, it's focused and I can take the photo.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.