Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Potty Training, How does it work????

K R 2709

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I have a four year old piggy who I would like to potty/litter train. What is the fastest way to do it? Right now I have a dark corner for her to use that is right next to her food bowl. I have been placing her droppings in the corner to encourage her but she doesn't seem to be getting the message.
Any ideas/tips are appreciated
Thanks

Threepigsnacuy

Cavy Slave
It is rather hard to train piggies to go in a litterbox. Some will do it, some will not. I would say fill the litterbox with bedding and hay, then wait for your piggie to poop or pee. Soak up pee with a paper towel, and place it in the litterbox. Scoop any poos up and place them in the box as well. Make sure the litterbox is in the area where your guinea pig usually eliminates. If your pig goes outside the box, clean it up immediately. Reward him when he goes in the box.
good luck!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a corner litterbox, not a rectangular one, so as it can be placed in the corner of the cage. Most piggies like to back their bum up against a corner to pee, so that helps a lot. I also hang their hay rack near the box, so because pigs tend to go where they eat the most, that contributes a lot also! To be honest, just putting hay down is like a magnet for piggies to pee and poop on really. They know it means we have to waste more money buying extra hay, so they can't resist! ;)

Missypigmama

Cavy Slave
The way I did my girls, whom are all babies, is I put a kitten size litter box in their cage with a small bowl of their pellets. They poop where they eat. Honestly my girls really just did it on their own, so I got luck. They use litter box 80% And of course they also potty where they sleep. The only pee I'm their box though..

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can't exactly potty train them, but you can learn to catch a lot of their poops. It's very good that you made it dark in that corner. That will encourage it. Also, they do a lot of damage where they eat, so you can put some hay or a pellet dish over there. I think this is the biggest trick.

In addition, look for the corner they poo most in now. Make that be the corner for the potty place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.