Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Lumps under jaw - vet says it's food stuck in cheek pouch

patriciamarge

Cavy Slave
I noticed that my guinea pig had lumps under her jaw and they kept growing so I took her to the vet. When I got there the vet said it was food stuck in there and was super happy it wasn't a tooth problem. He flushed out her cheeks with a syringe and the lumps disappeared, but gave me antibiotics and things because he said there was a burr that got stuck and it caused inflammation. I noticed today, however that the lumps (and the food) had reappeared and I flushed it out with the syringe again, but it seems like things keep getting stuck there. Is this normal ? or am I just paranoid now and it's easy to see because she's a skinny pig? Anyone else had a similar problem ?

Z

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Is she eating OK? Like the same as she usually does?
It is uncommon for guinea pigs to use their cheek pouches. They usually eat their food and don't store it.
A picture may help, do you have one?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Are you sure its not a tumor or something?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I really tend to doubt that stuck food is the problem. Guinea pigs don't have cheek pouches the way hamsters do, and while they can have some mushed up food in their mouths, it's not usually enough to cause a lump.

The most likely cause of a lump in a pig's neck is cervical lymphadenitis, which is a bacterial infection. If treated early enough, antibiotics alone may be enough to clear it up, but if not, the lesions may need to be lanced and drained.

Is this an exotic vet you're seeing? If not, you need to find one. If it is CL, your pig needs appropriate treatment fairly quickly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.