Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Best position for water bottle?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I tried searching threads first but I'm either blind or nothing was quite what I needed.

What's the best height for water bottles? I did see places where people discussed the angle of the pigs neck when drinking. I guess I just can't picture it. I tried different heights but it seems like theirs no good medium so I figure I must be thinking about it wrong. About how high off the floor should it be? The Colonel is 3.5 months old. Thanks in advance for the help!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Like the nozzle is just above the coroplast floor? I'm confused...lol

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
My nozzle rests on squares 3 and 4 in the grid. Hope I helped!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I don't have a c&c cage yet put I do have a playpen made of grids so I can measure and translate that to his cage. I'm building a c&c for my girls this weekend. Hopefully I can do the Colonel's after Christmas. Thank you for the help you guys!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Well in my head I thought it should be higher. That they should raise their cute little lips up to the nozzle. But then I saw a few people talking about the strain on the neck so I wasn't sure how low it was suppose to be. I am more than I little overwhelmed. I really appreciate this forum!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Depends on how long the nozzle extends. I usually rest my water bottles on the 5th square of the grid. About 6" up. The nozzle goes down to about 5" (I think, see pic)

(broken link removed)

In this other pic, the bottle on the right has shorter nozzle, I placed it one square lower.

(broken link removed)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Thank you Lissie! You have no idea how much pictures help me. I think I will have to move Colonel's bottle to a different spot. Not just for height but I think I need to move it so he's got more width there. I need to do some more figuring so I can get his new cage built sooner.

Side topic but still cage related, I could build his bigger cage sooner but it would be out of the Livingroom till after christmas. Which do you think is the lesser of two evils: small cage or big new cage and changing rooms twice in a month? I don't want to stress him too much and I have him out of his little cage and in a "playpen" for several hours a day. What do you think?

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
I don't have a c&c cage yet put I do have a playpen made of grids so I can measure and translate that to his cage. I'm building a c&c for my girls this weekend. Hopefully I can do the Colonel's after Christmas. Thank you for the help you guys!
Sorry! Thought you did! :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I got my sheet of coro today though :)

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
You have a pig named The Colonel?

I have a pig named The Doctor.

This is great :)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Thank you Lissie! You have no idea how much pictures help me. I think I will have to move Colonel's bottle to a different spot. Not just for height but I think I need to move it so he's got more width there. I need to do some more figuring so I can get his new cage built sooner.

Side topic but still cage related, I could build his bigger cage sooner but it would be out of the Livingroom till after christmas. Which do you think is the lesser of two evils: small cage or big new cage and changing rooms twice in a month? I don't want to stress him too much and I have him out of his little cage and in a "playpen" for several hours a day. What do you think?
Twice in one month should be fine!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Well his full name is Colonel Mustard but I prefer to call him The Colonel :)

I ordered my next sheet of coro so I'll move Colonel sooner rather than later if you think that would be better and not to stressful.

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Ahhh! CLUE!
I really didn't like that game, but it was fun to play with the bits and pieces!

I didn't pay much attention to the question at hand because I already have something worked out.

I have a Midwest. Before that, I had a Living World 4.2 square foot cage. It came with a water bottle holder that's like a hamster wheel, in the sense that you twist the plastic bar through the cage bars, then turn, and it latches on that way.

I also used to use elastic for the second bottle, because one bullied the other over the water. I cut the knots close.
With Charlemagne *tear* she always knocked down the water bottle to the point where it was so banged up and crumpled I just couldn't puff it back out. So I went to Delilah's bottle, the Petco one from 2 years ago.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use metal holders that the bottles fit into. Each holder attaches to the top of the grids. When the bottles are place,the tip of the nozzles are about 4.25" above the fleece pad on the bottom of the cage.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Perfect Pinky! I can measure up from the bottom! I just don't want him to hurt his cute little neck trying to get water. He looks kinda awkward drinking.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Perfect Pinky! I can measure up from the bottom! I just don't want him to hurt his cute little neck trying to get water. He looks kinda awkward drinking.

I've tried different heights when I used the u-shaped hangers. Once I switched to the holders, it seemed to be the perfect height. They walk up and drink without straining their necks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.