Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Guinea Pig behavior after surgery?

pigrat

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Been lurking here for quite a while and decided to create a profile on account of my guinea pig's bladder stone surgery.

Anyway, we're on day two of post-operation and my guinea pig is still extremely lethargic. I've been force feeding her food and water through syringe and have been giving her the prescribed medications(pain & antibiotics) twice a day.

She looks really uncomfortable, is breathing heavily, and doesn't move around at all besides shifting her weight(I'm assuming because of the pain from the huge suture down her abdomen.)

I know guinea pigs are susceptible to death after surgery due to stress and what not. Is my guinea pig's lethargy and behavior normal on day two post-op? I'm extremely worried about her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What exactly are the medications you're giving her? Strength and dose, please.

If one of them is a pain killer, that may be the cause of the lethargy. And at two days post-op, the vet should be tapering her off pain meds anyway.

Is she eating and drinking? If not, or if not enough, you'll have to handfeed her. See https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html on how to do it. A pig that isn't eating is a pig that's in mortal danger.

Huge suture down the abdomen? How huge? My sow's incision wasn't more than half a inch.

pigrat

Cavy Slave
Hey bpatters, thanks for responding.

The antibiotics are Baytril(3.5 cc/mL) and anti-inflammatory Rimadyl(.05cc/mL). There are only two syringes left of Rimadyl. The incision is about two inches.

She is not drinking or eating on her own and is averse to force feeding but I've been able to get it done. I've been feeding her a paste of cilantro, lettuce, and crushed pellets via a full 2ml syringe. I feed her three times a day. I give her water 4-6 times a day also via 2ml syringe. Is this enough to sustain her?

She's also limping when she walks to get from outside her little house to the inside. That's the only time she really moves.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She should be more active by now. Rimadyl shouldn't be making her inactive, but perhaps she needs a different pain med. You might ask the vet for some Meloxicam. If she is in pain she won't feel like eating.

I would have the vet take a look at her.

pigrat

Cavy Slave
I'm going to take her to the vet now. I was told by my doctor that the Rimadyl may be making her inactive, contrary to what you've said, but I'll let you guys know what's up when I return.

pigrat

Cavy Slave
So the vet said she'd lower the dose of the pain meds and wants to keep my pig until she starts getting up and about and feeding herself. Hopefully, this will be in the next 1-2 days.

pigrat

Cavy Slave
Vet just called. My guinea pig passed away. :(

CalicoSheltie

Cavy Slave
This is exactly what happened to my guinea pig Teddy. I'm so sorry for your loss. The only good thing about this is Your piggy is over the rainbow bridge and isn't suffering any longer.

pigrat

Cavy Slave
Do you guys think I should get another companion for my other guinea pig? I feel like my other one is a bit of a loner. She wasn't even phased when the one that got operated on disappeared for four days.

CalicoSheltie

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig is alone and he seems To be doing great. I don't think he's lonely at all.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I agree with ThePigAlchemist. I believe that all pigs should have a pig companion. Contact a rescue in your area to help you pick a good buddy for your guinea pig.

I am sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.