Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Oreo's medical thread

korryn92

Cavy Slave
I have a piggy Oreo who has sneezed before, but today he sneezed 3 different times. He hasn't sneezed 3 times real close together before. The first sneeze was earlier today then he had 2 different ones within an hour of each other this evening.

I noticed each time he sneezed he was near his hay rack rutting through the small pieces that fell out of the rack from filling it. I am not sure if I should be worried about the sneezing or if it is a usual thing with pigs to sneeze when playing in their hay. He has no other symptoms of a URI, no crusty nose or eyes, and he is eating just as much as he usually does.

I just lost a pig because of illness (stone complications) so I might just be being paranoid here but I really need something to ease my mind if I am making too much of the sneezing. He was just at the vet last week because he has a small superficial bump that she biopsied and said it should be fine since it is so small and superficial and shows no sign of infection. She called today but I missed the call to check on him to see if his lump or anything has changed. He was also given a special shampoo because he was itching and she didn't see any signs of mites and was thinking it might be dry skin because the air in our house is very dry.

I am going to call the vet tomorrow to give her an update but I don't know if I should mention the sneezing or not. Could a sign of mites be sneezing? I don't see any signs like extra shedding, dry scaly patches of skin, or red inflamed skin.

Any advice is very appreciated.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Re: sneezed a couple times but not sure what caused it

You could mention he sneezed a few times, yet I wouldn't bee too concerned, all things given.

korryn92

Cavy Slave

OK, thank you :) So far he hasn't sneezed today but I am keeping an eye on him anyway just in case. :)

korryn92

Cavy Slave

After I changed out his fleece and gave him his bath with the anti-itch shampoo he didn't sneeze. So I am guessing it was the tiny hay pieces on the fleece since it was change day anyway.

Guess I am just being paranoid lol

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave

Do you have loose bedding? If so, it maybe irritating him.
My girls will sneeze once or twice after sweeping poos.

I've put both up to my ear, carefully listened to their breathing and pressed a stethoscope to their chest. Everything has come out all clear. But I still bug them with the process whenever I hear a sneeze.

Epiphaneee

Cavy Slave

@korryn92, I don't want to say anything that might keep a sick piggy from getting medical help, so please keep in mind that this is just a little FYI. But I'm hoping it will make you feel better. One of my piggies just loves, loves, loves to play in her hay! Sometimes, she even naps in it. And if I don't make a little pile for her to play in, she will go nuts trying to climb into her hay box. But the thing is, she sneezes like mad from it! Her weight is fine, her appetite is good, everything about her is completely normal, except she sneezes. And sometimes, her eyes get a little watery when she is sneezing. But the vet says she is completely healthy, although she may have allergies. And she may be allergic to hay or hay dust. But as long as there are no other symptoms, I'm not supposed to worry about it. She used to sneeze even more often, then we switched to fleece. That helped some. Also, it seems like some hays make her sneeze more than others. And after watching her, my other piggy has started to play in the hay, too. And now, she's sneezing from time to time. That makes me think that the hay must tickle their piggy noses. Maybe not the very best thing for them, but they enjoy it so much! I don't have the heart to take it away if it's not hurting them. So I'm trying to just ignore the sneezing. And enjoy watching them play in the hay. So please don't feel like the Lone Ranger on this one.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave

My gp sneezes sometimes also when he is done eating but his hay is in the hayrack because he doesn't like playing in it! But he pulls it out to his level and sneezes and when he's done he sneezes a bit! :( it worries me!

pinky

Cavy Slave

What kind of shampoo did she prescribe? You can't see mites and scratch tests are often inconclusive so it's better to just go ahead and treat for mites. If it is mites, bathing is not recommended and will aggravate the mites, resulting in more scratching. Bathing can dry the skin, too. If the vet suspected a fungus, that would often show up under a special light they use. I still think you'd be better off treating for mites with ivermectin and see if that takes care of the itching. As far as sneezing, I'd watch for other symptoms that would go along a URI. If there's runny or crusty eyes, discharge from the nose, labored breathing, congestion, change in behavior or an increase in sneezing I'd be concerned.

korryn92

Cavy Slave

Thank you everyone! I have been watching closely and it seems most of the time he sneezes when playing with hay or after playing with it.

He is itching pretty bad so I have ordered ivermectin and am waiting for it to come in the mail. I feel bad for him though because he is so itchy and I wish there was something I could do to help the itching until the ivermectin gets here. The shampoo the vet gave me has the active ingredient Pramoxine Hydrochloride 1%.

I am also checking his eyes and nose everyday to see if there are any crusty spots or if there are runny things too. Everything looks normal aside from him sneezing and itching. I hope the ivermectin gets here before the expected delivery date since they are based in the same state I live in.

Do you know any way I can help the itching until the meds arrive? I have coconut oil if that will help.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave

Do you know any way I can help the itching until the meds arrive? I have coconut oil if that will help.
Coconut oil is great for dry skin. I would try it.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave

Also, could you try a humidifier at all for the dry air?

korryn92

Cavy Slave

Yes I have a humidifier but I keep forgetting to set it up lol I will try and set it up in the morning as long as I remember.

I will try the coconut oil too, I am not sure if he actually has dry skin or if the itching is from mites so I am going to treat him for mites as soon as the ivermectin arrives.

When I use coconut oil should I leave it on or wipe some off after a while? Bathing will most likely irritate him skin so I figure it would be pointless to use the oil then bath him.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave

I would try to get the coconut oil as close to his skin as possible and try to massage it in....

korryn92

Cavy Slave

Thank you I will do that :) I am in the process of setting up the humidifier right now so that will be going soon. I have to soak the filter before I turn it on so thats the only reason it is not up yet.

Thank you so much!

Epiphaneee

Cavy Slave

Hey @korryn92, I was thinking about Oreo this morning. How is he doing? Did you try the humidifier or the coconut oil? Did your ivermectin arrive? I'm curious about which one you ordered & your experience with it. My piggies have been scratching some & The Guinea Pig Wheekly recommended treating for mites. It'll be my 1st time working with ivermectin. Any tips for a noob? haha

korryn92

Cavy Slave

Aw thank you for asking about him :)

I tried the humidifier and the coconut oil and it help while the oil was on but now he is scratching again about as much as before. I ordered ivermectin but they sent stuff that was way too strong and I am working on getting a hold of the seller to get instructions on how to send it back because amazon won't let me print out a return label because it is classified as hazardous material. I have to go to the vet because he has a swollen grease gland so I will ask her to treat them.

korryn92

Cavy Slave
Piggy has allergies

Well the vet said that Oreo does not have mites and since he has been sneezing she listened to his chest and checked him over real well to see if he has a URI. He has no signs of a URI except for sneezing. She said it is not usualy for pigs to have allergies but it seems that Oreo is one of the few pigs who do.

Are there any tips, other than giving him his new allergy medicine, to help him out? He is on fleece so he doesn't need his bedding switched but is there anything else I can do to help with his allergies?

Vetmedizon

Cavy Slave
Re: Piggy has allergies

Is your Oreo's environment or cage a hindrance of the allergens to your little pig? If so, then maybe, evacuate, the cage into a good place... not in the floor... but maybe, in the level were only the head can be only be seen (chest level). The major way for now is, observation and awareness.

Also, the polyester made on the fleece- some little pigs can be ideal for them, but some can be fatal. Maybe it is a inborn for the guinea pig, Oreo, we cannot say. But I would further suggest that now, remove first the fleece, and exchange it into a natural shavings. I hope so that you will understand it. The shavings serves as the natural habitat for them, guinea pigs.

So just observe better and with knowledge you can finish this :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Different kind of hay, maybe? Timothy seems to make more people/critters allergic than some of the others.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave

Try using a hay bag, all the dust from the hay will fall to the bottom leaving the good stuff on top. A lot of people/critters with allergies tend to do better with blue grass hay compared to timothy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.