Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Jellybean Medical Thread

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
So, I am a little concerned about Jellybean.

I got Jellybean as an adoption. He had only been at his previous home for a couple months, and he had been adopted by his previous owner so in the span of a couple months Jellybean changed homes twice. When I got him, he was underweight, so I fattened him up, he is small, and probably about 4.5 years old I would guess. He weighed 867g when he was at his peak.

This past little bit has been hectic for him, we brought him here to be cage mates with Alfonz, but Jellybean would have none of that, and they just fought until they had to be separated. We tried again recently, and they were on my living room floor for like, 8 or 10 hours, then in the end Jellybean bit Alfonz face, and Alfonz is only 9 months old, for reference. We built them a cage to live in together, it was a 4x2 c&c but since they couldn't live together, they got downsized to 2x2 each for a short while, then they were upgraded to 3x2 each, side by side with a barrier so they could interact. Then, we ended up being handed a 2 month old baby pig, by my sister who couldn't keep him, so Alfonz and Marbles (the baby pig) needed a cage upgrade, so they got a 3x4 cage, and Jellybean got moved to an upper level 2x3 cage, so his cage size stayed the same.

So all that has happened to Jellybean since September 7th when we got him here in our care. And his previous adoption happened before that obviously.

Since the 16th of this month, Jellybean went from 867g to 817g, so he has lost 50g between the 16th and today. He is still very energetic, and he is eating his hay, and most of his veggies (I do tend to give him too many veggies so Im not worried about his remaining veggies) he eats most of his pellets, but again I tend to give him a few too many pellets, he gets 1/3rd of a cup of pellets. So, energy levels normal, food habits are good, and pooping is normal also. He also seems to be peeing normally as well.

Any suggestions would be valued. I believe I will start weighing him daily for now.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sometimes, weight just fluctuates. Also, stress can play a factor. Try not to change anything in his cage or cage location for a few weeks. See if you see any improvement. It seems like there's been a lot of things been going on: from being moved all over the place, to fighting other pigs in introductions, to changing the size of his cage, and to moving the cage above another pigs' cage, it sounds like he could be stressed. I might would be too. So I would just try to keep things calm of a while. :)

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
That's the plan now lol. We had to alter the cage again because I couldn't get in to clean it at all. So today was our last cage alteration, we wont be changing anything else anymore, I feel bad that he has been so stressed, and honestly, in trying to make his life better, I have contributed to stressing him out more accidentally. This new set up, equipped with nice little mirror with a plush star shaped edge, and a stuffed giraffe toy for company.

I will be monitoring him and mostly Im only concerned because he is already increasing in age, and I don't want his health to decrease, we are trying to extend his life as best we can.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It sounds like you are doing a good job. Overall, even though you may have stressed him a teeny, your still helping him. :) One more thing- I also wouldn't let him have any new toys besides the ones he's got now. Just let him get used to his new home. :)

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a good plan, I don't think he is much interested in more toys anyways, he mostly likes to just be a relaxed piggy, his age is getting up there and with no real background on him, I couldn't begin to know what kind of care he received in his past, so I do have to prepare for his age being close to a guinea pigs limit, and just hope that the care I am giving him makes him last it out longer

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
Jellybean has gained back some of his weight, so I am thinking it was stress that caused the weight loss. I am still watching him, and so is the boyfriend, thankfully, we are happy to have our little monsters doing well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.