Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Getting rid of fruit flies?

korryn92

Cavy Slave
We moved to a new house with other people about 2 weeks ago. There were a bunch of house flies and fruit flies here before we moved in. We purchased the fly strips you hand up and we have one in the same room as Oreo's cage to try and get them away from him and us because they are very bothersome, and not sure if they carry disease or not.

We have gotten rid of quite a few of the flies but most of them being fruit flies are always trying to get to Ore's fruit. It isn't even in his cage 5 minutes before there are a ton on there and he won't touch it after that. I made a fly trap from a water bottle and out hummingbird nectar in it to attract them and trap them in the bottle, but they don't seem interested in it even though I have had success with these kind of traps before in our old house.

I keep his cage clean so they shouldn't be in there from being attracted to poops and such. Is there any effective way anyone has figured out to get rid of fruit flies?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Fruit flies are just a bother. They're disgusting but not overly harmful. There's a water bag you can do, just don't remember how. You can also try leaving out a bowl of vinegar.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Fruit flies are tricky. Here is something that worked for me. Take a glass. Cut a slice of tomato (or sweet fruit), put it in the glass. Cover it with seran wrap and rubber band the seran wrap over the top of the glass. Then use a fork or a toothpick to poke several holes in the seran wrap. Worked like a charm. Fruit flies get trapped inside but can't get out.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
I used this and it worked.

Take a glass jar or cup doesn't matter
put vinegar and some sugar in the jar. Then drop some dish soap into it don't turn it into bubbles. That caught almost all the fruit flies for me.

korryn92

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys for the tips!

If I use a cup or jar then I can reuse it because i can clean it out so that is great. I can also set it on the lid of his cage since he doesn't shake the table a lot and if I put fruit in there nothing will spill into his cage.

I think I will try the fruit in a jar with plastic wrap and holes in it first :) We have mason jars and those are pretty sturdy for staying standing and lots fo saran wrap and cut up fruit :)

Thank you so much!

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
In our house by the fruit bowl, we do the glass with a piece of BANANA in it, covered with plastic wrap and poked holes with a toothpick. It works like MAGIC! Within a few days we had 10-20 flies all caught up in it! We emptied it and left again banana in there. I think its the magic fruit! The same results have happened and we are catching more!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.