Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Diarrhea too long!!!!

Rhonda1231

Cavy Slave
Miss Piggy started having poops with points at one end about 3-4 weeks ago. Then occasionally a soft lump of pop, and back to solid. We went on vacation (of course) at the time it became soft-runny and took her to the vet. No bacteria or parasites were found in fecal test. The vet had her go on probiotic powder mixed with apple sauce which took care of it after 4-5 days. We came home and it became runny again within a few days. She was eating and acting great during this whole time so we were extremely alarmed. At the second visit she had all but stopped eating and poops are liquid/mush and we are now doing critical care, Medicam, probiotic, and gas drops. We have even gone as far as tiny amounts of diarrhea liquid for cats. She maintains her weight and hydration still, not 100% perky but plenty enough to fight feedings! Vet suggested to do this for a week (!) then try antibiotic even though fecal test was normal earlier on. She will still devour banana and dried apple. Anything not fiber of course.
Anyone go through this before?
She is about 3 years old and has always been healthy, crazy about Timothy hay and pellets. Loves her tiny tomatoes!

Did the vet say she has bloat? Medicam is a painkiller. That combined with gas drops is usually what is used to combat it.

Generally, when a pig has runny poop or all-out diarrhea, the first thing you do is take them totally off vegetables and feed only hay and pellets. Neither banana nor dried apple is good for a pig with digestive problems -- their intestinal tracts don't handle sugar well when they're healthy, and it's just adding insult to injury to give them sweet things when they're having loose/runny stools.

Has the vet tried a course of flagyl? Sometimes that will clear things up even though nothing has been found on a fecal test.

And I don't know what "diarrhea liquid for cats" is. Is that something your vet prescribed, or something you just added yourself?

Did the vet say she has bloat? Medicam is a painkiller. That combined with gas drops is usually what is used to combat it.

I don't believe she used the word bloat, just pain with the diarrhea, and said if she was sluggish, during this time (weekend) to give her the prescribed amount once a day, twice if needed. I am really surprised there seems so little to be done for something like this. She seems more perky now after a few hours later, hoping it continues.

If she suggested gas drops, it sounds like she suspects bloat, even if she didn't use the word. That's what bloat is - a build up of gas.

Well, darn. With the banana, I knew the sugar may be an issue, but I also understood it could be binding too. We have rabbits, and should have copied what we do for them better. It was the only things she would eat freely.
I believe flagyl would be I e of the two antibiotics she talked about trying if it didn't clear up. She will be out if the office for a week, and mentioned waiting that long, but no way if this continues. I'm not sure why she waited on the meds.
Yes, I air we became desperate. We have 7 house rabbits and piggy was bad enough to make us want to try a little K-P anti-diarrhea liquid. It doesn't seem to have worked or I didn't give her enough one, but with the combo mentioned, she did come out tonight and wheat a stray piece of hay and started on her pellets. It didn't last long, so looks like I will be doing more critical care before bed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.