Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Piggies chewing on coroplast

LexiandLily

Cavy Slave
Just curious if it's just my girls that are obsessed with the coroplast or not. We've only just got the new C&C cage and both Lexi and Lily insist on chewing the coroplast, I spot clean with the hoover every morning and this morning there was loads of little white bits of plastic everywhere. Surely this can't be good for them if they eat it?
They have plenty hay and wood in the cage to chew on but they just prefer the coroplast. Is there anything I can do? They are very naughty at the minute, Lexi escaped at the weekend and tries to head ram the ramp when Lily is coming down. And now Lexi has 2 little nip marks on her ear, god knows what goes on when I'm at work!!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
yes, you can try switching to a full fleece liner (fleece that goes up and over the coroplast and is secured with binder clips or make a piggy bedspread) OR you can try adding binder spines to the top of the coroplast. You can get them in the cage store if you can't find them locally.

Also, how tall is your coroplast? If it's less than 6 inches it might be just easier for them to access the top edge, maybe raising your next tray to 12" in the back and 6 for the sides?. The fastest fix would probably just be to cover the coroplast with a larger sheet of fleece though.

LexiandLily

Cavy Slave
that's a good Idea, we have just bought 2 custom made cage liners which don't go up over the sides so I might have to concoct something myself. She chews all the tops and the ramp, I'll have to just cover everything in fleece - it'll be like a padded cell when I'm finished haha

pinky

Cavy Slave
I make the sides 7.5" and they leave the coroplast alone. There's still plenty of ventilation. I found that with the shorter sides, they climb up and put more weight on the sides and tear it with their nails. I don't see them do that as much with 7.5" sides.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
what size are your cages pinky?

LexiandLily

Cavy Slave
I bought the cage ready made from a website, it came with the coroplast already cut and ready to put in.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
what height is your coroplast now?

pinky

Cavy Slave
what size are your cages pinky?

Two are 7.5 and one is 7.25"They're 2x4's. I've built a lot of cages for other people and have had cages of my own that were different sizes. I've had 2x6's, 2x5's, cages with lofts, double deckers, one with a second level that extended over the bottom level and raised cages. I've made some with taller sides but don't like sides that they can't reach up on to look over. I built a couple with 9 and 10" sides but they were too high so I cut them down. 7.5 is my favorite height. The top of the 7.25" one lines up with the wire part of a grid. Different brands of grids are slightly different sizes so it's hard to calculate that out exactly.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x3 right now and it has a top so I don't have as much viewing. Open cages make for much better viewing but I have cats :eek:(

LexiandLily

Cavy Slave
This is the cage, I'm not at home so can't measure how high it comes up but you can sort of see by the picture (sorry it's bad quality, taken on my phone)

Attachments

cage.jpg

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Looks like 6" sides. Mine are the same. Ya know what I would do? I would take out the fleece pad and put a liner under it that goes all the way over the coroplast and then put the pad back. I hate sloppy, so I would probably have to sew it into a piggy bedspread so it looked really nice and neat. If you are lucky the bigger liner won't get too dirty.

Does the pee go thru your fleece pad to the coroplast? Maybe you can put a water proof barrier between the fleece that goes over the coroplast and the fleece pad to stop it from getting dirty. That way you won't have to change it as often, maybe just every 10 days to 2 weeks. Maybe even longer. I use fleece pads like you have and I love them. What is inside the fleece pads, I use uhual pads inside mine.

LexiandLily

Cavy Slave
the fleece liners we use just have wadding inside so the pee goes straight through, then we have towels under with newspaper under those. I hate things looking messy like you say so I might have to figure out a work around. I don't want them ingesting the plastic, not nice.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Thats a lot of layers. Maybe you can track down a couple of waterproof crib pads. They work really great for me and they are much less work than laying down towels and newspaper. They are waterproof on the inside and like a flannel type fabric on the outside. Very thin. They are not big enough to cover your whole cage, you would probably need to sew two together or just overlap them in the cage. Mine are something like this but I get the babies R US brand which comes as a 2 pack but this picture shows them more accurately. It's very thin, lightweight and because it's white you can figure out exactly where they are peeing and put little potty pads on top of your full cage fleece pad in those areas which hopefully will buy you a an extra couple of days between full cage cleanings:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3368922&cp=&parentPage=search

You are in the UK, right? Here is a site that makes full bed spreads, maybe you can look into/make something like this:
https://www.piggybedspreads.com

LexiandLily

Cavy Slave
Thanks very much Traysea, really appreciate all the advice

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.