Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Easier way to clean your cage fast, and less messy!

D

DELI

Easier way to clean your cage fast, and less messy!

Hi fellow piggy lovers!
I own two male guinea pigs, Deli(abbysissian) and Taxi(american) and I used to have so much trouble cleaning the cage, and then getting in more trouble for making a mess with the shavings...I had to think of a way to solve this problem...I now put the tray of the cage in a trash bag, sprinkle baking soda underneath, then fill up with wood shavings...Then I just re-attach the top of the cage, and walla...To clean(way easier!!!) take off the top of the cage, remove the tray, them turn the trash bag inside out so the shavings are all inside, and the tray stays clean and dry. Then simply throw the bag in the garbage. My pigs don't chew on the bag normally, but check to make sure your piggy doesn't, if he does...Try supplying extra food and chew toys... hope this works for you! DELI

C

calico23

ewccf

I already figerd out the same thing w/ my gerbil flashes cage he is always on the top floor anywayz so their is no reasen to attemt caching that boy simply lift up cage, remove tray, dump in garbage bage refill and replace its as easy as pie!!!!!.:D

M

mishkka

Problem with nylon

Piglets eat nylon. That's dangerous.

C

calico23

nylon????? mishkka?

nylon????????? what are talking about mishkka? we dident mention nylon anywhere?

L

Laura Irene

Nylon

She means that they could eat the Nylon garbage bag, which could cause intestinal blockage.

M

Muuru

Re: Nylon

what about waxed paper? is that a problem for a guinea pig to be chewing on? I generally line my pigs cage with a couple of layers of it to make cleaing it out easier(urine doesn't get through it, so it doesn't mess up the metal bottom).

L

Laura Irene

Waxed Paper

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure, but I would be cautious because of the wax. It may not be digestable if they eat it, but I can be sure. May be you can put a layer of newspaper over the top of it, just to make sure they don't get to it. Maybe someone else know better!

*Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki* Visit my HBome Page at havapig.tripod.com

W

Windiain

Newspaper, binbag, hoover.

I use newspaper to line the bottom of the cage. When I clean the cage out, I roll up the newspaper containing the soiled bedding (sawdust swiss roll, anyone?), and then stuff the roll in a bin bag. With the coroplast cage there shouldn't be much mess (if any) on the floor because you can keep all the dropped bits in the cage base.

Then I use the hoover nozzle attachment to vacuum up any remaining sawdust and droppings left in the base. I used a dustpan and brush until I twigged the hoover would work better. Dead simple, little mess. I'd hazard a guess that one of those mini hand-held vacuum cleaners would work well, too. :)

N

Nibblet8

Waxpaper, Newspaper, Swiss Roll

I too have been using the waxpaper, newpaper swiss roll method. However this last time i opted not to put the wax paper and newspaper down. I figured I would try just bedding. The problem I have with the swiss roll method is that I find the strips of waxpaper seperate from the cage to the garbage bag, thus leaving my floor looking like the interior of my little friends home. YUK :p

Also, I have found that with my popcorning racing piggers they seem to lift the edges of the newspaper and all the bedding gets shoved under it. leaving only newspaper exposed as their bedding.

[/b] Any tips on keeping it together would be appreciated.

Thanx, Nibblet
(broken link removed)

W

Windiain

Re: Waxpaper, Newspaper, Swiss Roll

I ease the roll into the bag while it's still inside the base of the cage. I've found that so long as I'm careful with it, none of the bedding gets outside the cage onto the carpet. The easiest method I've found to do this is to put my hands inside the bin bag, grab the swiss roll with my hands still in the bag, then turn the bin bag inside-out over it. You can squash it down to fit with the bin bag sitting inside the base so any bits that fall out stay in the base.

Can't comment on the bedding getting under the newspaper, because I haven't experienced it. It might be because I use a lot of it, so it's too thick for the piggies to lift all of it? My problem with newspaper is that my rabbit likes to rip the top layers to shreds, making a mess of the cage (I'm currently trying pre-shredded paper to see if that holds his interest enough to stop him wrecking the bedding). All I can say is I'm glad that a lot of newspapers get read in this house, or I'd be in serious trouble in the cage lining department. :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.