Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Sick pig or hay dust?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
My little Kiwi is breathing strange, almost like a crackle. Her wheek is also off in that it is very high pitched, almost like how a human "squeeks" when he/she is losing his/her voice. She eats perfectly fine, poops fine, has no crusty eyes or runny nose. She is not hiding. When she eats she coughs more than usual. I know that she will "choke" every once in a while when eating and have to cough because of it, but she has been doing it more frequently the last couple days. I had to buy cheap hay a few days ago until their good quality hay arrived and it was very small pieces with a lot of dust. Could she just have an irritation in her respiratory tract from the hay or is it most likely a URI? It is Labor Day so I am certain the vet is closed. I'm pretty worried, so please give some input.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure I'd call it a "crackle." You know the noise they make that sounds like a perculating coffee pot....it sounds different today. From what I can tell her breathing is normal sounding but her noises are not. Any ideas? I'm in spaz mode because the vet is closed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she doesn't seem like she's in any distress, and doesn't have runny eyes or nose, I think you can relax. See if you can get her some better hay and see if that fixes the problem.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
The good hay (Small Pet Select) came in on Friday. They have had that since it arrived. She does seem like she is sleeping more and instead up sleeping in an alert position like she normally does she's all kicked back, actually lying down. Could this mean she is in distress? I looked at her a while ago and thought she has passed away because of the way she was lying down. I have never seen her do that so it made me panic. What are your thoughts?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sleeping like that probably just means she's relaxed. It took mine weeks after I got them to sleep like that. How long have you had her?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I have had her since February. I work midnights so I should be sleeping right now but I can't so I made a bed on the floor next to their cage. She looks so peaceful and content, not distressed at all. I have not heard any more strange noises from her since I have been lying next to the cage. I hope it was just a reaction to the hay we had for that couple of days. It was like hay flakes. It was terrible! Thank you so much for your help. I will continue to monitor her and take her to the vet tomorrow if things are not better or get worse.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.