Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Howdy! Our little Cookie . . . and Oreo when I finally get a picture of her

RoscommonAcres

Cavy Slave
I raised guinea pigs years ago (like 20), so after my daughter's pet rabbit died (of old age), I thought a guinea pig would be a good new pet. I love their social-ness and their chatter.

So anyway, we picked out this little beauty from a breeder and waited not-so patiently for her to be ready to go home.

She's about two months old now and is an abyssinian/peruvian cross. And the sweetest, most talkative little piggie.

Just curious, what color would you say she is? Would she be considered a roan because of the white? The breeder said silver agouti, but she seems to have more white to me. The children are hoping to show her in 4-H next year and the more we know about her, the better!

I'll include a post about Oreo after I get a decent picture of her.

she is beautiful

OK, and this is Oreo. She is about one. We got her from another breeder who had decided to concentrate on hairless guinea pigs and was rehoming her abbies and crosses. I figured Cookie needed a friend, and Oreo's a pretty good one. :)

Your guinea pigs are beautiful but please don't breed them. This is an anti breeding site. There are hundreds of guinea pigs in rescues and shelters across the country, with large numbers being euthanized due to lack of homes for them. You can find guinea pigs of every shape, size, color and breed from people trying to rehome guinea pigs they have.

They are beautiful! But please opt to adopt. :) This is an ant-breeding/pet store site. @pinky already covered most of it. Cookie looks like a blue roan abyssinian/peruvian cross. Oreo is a black & white broken-color abyssinian. Best of luck with your new pigs!

Um, I was just sharing pictures of our guinea pigs. It's kind of hard to breed two females without a male.

What cuties! :)

I know @RoscommonAcres, why is everyone say please don't breed them... they're females....

Awe they are so cute welcome :) urgh I hate to throw this out there I really do but showing a guinea pig can be very stressful for the piggie :( but other than that I don't want to over run you with a bunch of things lol really hope to see you stick around the forum as there is always new things to learn and fun things to talk about and there's many nice people on here :)

Welcome to the forum! I don't believe they were talking about you breeding lol I think they were saying its not good to get them from a breeder c: Your piggies look amazing, very beautiful :D

Welcome to the forum! I don't believe they were talking about you breeding lol I think they were saying its not good to get them from a breeder c: Your piggies look amazing, very beautiful :D

Ah. I guess that makes more sense. :) I looked for a guinea pig for four months at shelters, on Craigslist and on ebay classifieds. The ones at the shelter were so skittish and I know they tame down with proper care, but the ones I had as a kid were really friendly from the time I got them.

There weren't a lot on Craigslist (I almost ended up driving all the way to Kansas City for one!) and most of them I was just not that comfortable with. Probably my own prejudice. Like the lady
going off to college with a one year old guinea pig. She really didn't foresee that coming? I hate seeing animals treated as disposable. I responded to the ones where there was an unforeseen allergy and one girl who had two piggies she said she was really sad to give up but school was taking up a lot of time and she felt bad that she wasn't spending enough time with them. They seemed like people who really had the best in mind for the piggies from the start.

But they were gone before I got to them. I sort of lucked into finding these two. And honestly, if all breeders were like Cookie's breeder, we wouldn't have a pet overpopulation problem. She asked us so many questions down to our previous experience with pets, pets we've surrendered in the past (we had a dog killing chickens we rehomed), what kind of cage she'd be in, how much time we had for her and who would be primarily responsible for the guinea pig.

Even Oreo's previous mama had a few questions, but she was a friend of the breeder and said she knew that if she was selling us a guinea pig, she trusted we were a good home. Oreo might possibly be pregnant. She said she'd take her back if we didn't want to deal with that, but both piggies are just so perfect for us. I have space and cages if we end up with a few unplanned piggies. And five children so you know they already think we need five guinea pigs to be "fair." :)

wow o: Ive never heard of a breeder like that, I got mine from a breeder, but im in CO, and they were in Wyoming lol, so we drove down to Wyoming and my mothers.. brother ( I think) went and already got the piggies for me, I was given them In a fairly big cardboard box, they were about 4 weeks old, and yeah c: Im glad to hear the confusion got cleared up :D

wow o: Ive never heard of a breeder like that, I got mine from a breeder, but im in CO, and they were in Wyoming lol, so we drove down to Wyoming and my mothers.. brother ( I think) went and already got the piggies for me, I was given them In a fairly big cardboard box, they were about 4 weeks old, and yeah c: Im glad to hear the confusion got cleared up :D

I think you see it more with larger animals like dogs and cats where there are questionnaires and an approval process and everything. Unfortunately, there are so many indiscriminate breeders out there that all breeders get a bad name (And I'm talking about dog breeders where there is probably more reason for breeding. Our dogs are all working dogs so Craigslist and the shelter aren't necessarily the best option!) But I'd feel very uncomfortable getting any animal from someone who didn't have a few questions about where their animal was going.

But she sold me on the higher cost of her piggy just because she did ask all the questions!

@RoscommonAcres well, people here are a anti breeding site, mainly because it puts to much stress on the mother pig, and correct me if i'm wrong, anyone that reading this ^^'' but ive heard that generally pigs that come from a breeder have 'disability' as I call it, they are..lethal? I think they call them o.o but please correct me if im wrong ^^''

not all pigs that come from breeders are lethal and also correct me if im wrong lethals are white, and are called lethal whites:)

@RoscommonAcres well, people here are a anti breeding site, mainly because it puts to much stress on the mother pig, and correct me if i'm wrong, anyone that reading this ^^'' but ive heard that generally pigs that come from a breeder have 'disability' as I call it, they are..lethal? I think they call them o.o but please correct me if im wrong ^^''

I understand it is an anti-breeding site. Nowhere did I mention breeding my guinea pigs. I just wanted to share pictures of my guinea pigs and I'm starting to get the feeling that this is not the place to do it. I didn't join to debate the merits or detriments of breeding when I'm not even breeding.

And no, not all guinea pigs from a breeder have disabilities, nor are they lethal. If most guinea pigs from a breeder had disabilities of some sort, most guinea pigs would have disabilities period. They all come from somewhere and there is no way all the accidental breedings littering shelters and Craigslist are "luckier" than those that were intentionally bred. I think you are referring to lethal whites and that is something that happens when there is an accidental breeding between two roans, two dalmations or a roan and a dalmation or an intentional breeding by a breeder who will generally kill the lethal whites. The problem with getting a pregnant piggie from a pet store, shelter, Craigslist or whatever is that since you don't know the bloodlines of your pregnant sow or anything about the male, you may end up with lethal white babies. I'm not sure that it would be a good thing for every guinea pig on the market to be an accidental breeding by someone who didn't know what they were doing, but as it stands, there certainly are enough of those to go around and I didn't join to debate that.

The thing with breeding guinea pigs is there is already so many, it puts the sow in the possibility of death and has rather high risks of something going wrong with the sow or the pups. It is not safe and not needed.

A lethal white does not come from what breeders do. While what they do is not good, a lethal white is due to a guinea pigs genes.
I have a lethal white who turned 7 months old this month, she is blind and death. Another member on this fourm cares for 7 lethal white guinea pigs and then I know of a baby lethal white guinea pig born in foster care at an rescue..and last but not least is Fairy the most famous lethal white guinea pig ever and she is 4 years old.
Breeders don't usually sell lethal whites, they put them down. Lethal whites are a waste in their eyes. I contacted all the breeders I could find in NZ and they all said if the lethal white pigs don't die soon after birth they either kill them themselves or take them to the vets to be put to sleep.

Please op to adopt next time. Don't support breeders who put the lives of the sows in such risks all for the money. Support those who are cleaning up their 'mess' and trying their best to save the homeless guinea pigs and who try to find them the best homes possible. Whats done is done but you now have the opportunity to do better next time, many of us here have started not on the best path but we've changed our ways and do better now.

That's my two cents. Best of luck. :)

Your girls are beautiful! I love Cookie's swirly fur on her bum!

Your girls are beautiful! I love Cookie's swirly fur on her bum!

Thanks! They are such sweeties. My six year old has a tooth brush she brushes little Cookie with. It's so sweet. :) Both of them have learned what their treat dish is, too. Cookie will take treats from your hand, but Oreo's not so sure. She starts wheeking like a maniac as soon as you take the treat dish or the hay rack out of the cage, though, because she knows what's coming!

Welcome to the forum. Your new piggies are quite adorable - thanks for sharing your pics :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.