Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Ella needs help

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
So on Monday we were at the emergency vet because she was peeing blood, they gave her a shot of baytril and vitamin C until we could see our normal vet. On tuesday the vet said she had a UTI and gave us Baytril for her, but today Ella is just laying in the corner and wont eat her dinner and is squealing while trying to pee, the vet said we can get her in tomorrow morning but are closed now, I have some Metacam (pain meds) from her last UTI and the dosage, should I give her some to help her out until tomorrow?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, you can give her a little -- the same dosage you used before.

Did they x-ray her on Monday or Tuesday? Because what you describe sounds a lot like bladder stones, and that can turn into an emergency pretty quickly.

I'd put her on plain solid color bedding (or as close to it as you can get) so you tell whether she's peeing or not. If she has a stone and it's gotten into her urethra, it may be blocking the passage of urine, and that's VERY uncomfortable for her. So if you don't see evidence of her peeing in the next few hours, you need to get her to an emergency vet. They might be able to help her pass the stone.

If she is peeing, then make sure she's eating tonight (see https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html) and get her back in tomorrow morning as early as you can. Insist on an x-ray -- it's the only way you can find out if she has a stone.

Is this a exotic vet she's seeing? If not, you need to find one ASAP.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Okay I will give her some, yes she sees an exotic vet, on tuesday they felt her stomach and did an ultra sound, I am making her some critical care, so far it looks like she is peeing.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Sadly it was too late, She passed away last night.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Awe, I'm so sorry.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.