Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Keeping smell down and keeping parents happy

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I know there are a lot of people like me out on this forum, with thread after thread about what to do to keep the guinea pigs from making parents unhappy..so I thought I'd make this thread to share what I know after about a year of this fun ever going battle :rolleyes: and also as sort of an idea board from other kids experiences and from parents to kind of give us the other perspective!

First I'll start with the system I worked out with my parents about smell, laundry, space, etc. Basically, the major dilemma has been smell. When I was younger, I broke my nose - well practically crushed the left side - leaving me with a pretty awful sense of smell, and that combined with the fact that I keep the trio in my room so I sorta get used to the smell, I really can't smell it unless its pretty bad. However, my parents have really good noses, so I've learned to just always pretend it smells, in order to make it never smell. I started this whole trip with one guinea pig in a pet store cage, with carefresh. Changed bedding once a week; no smell. But once I found the c&c cages and found out that they shouldn't live alone, I convinced my parents to get another one, but when we went to the pet store (bad idea- we ended up with a trio of URI pigs) we ended up getting two. So we moved them all to a 2x5 c&c with carefresh. then I found this site, and fleece, so we switched to fleece, which was nice at first because the carefresh cost was gone. But the smell problem began.

So after about 8 months, I've finally hit the arrangement that works for me.

1) more space is a life saver. Upgraded to a 3x6, and the smell level dropped dramatically.
2) my cage is set up like this:
I'm still using the 2x5 coro, but two sides are folded flat.
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happylayer one is uhaul pads. they are cut 2x4 but doubled over on the parts with no coro under them.
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happylayer two is towels! the double layer is super helpful with smell. Sometime I want to get some Zorb II for this layer. the towels I use are old ripped up ones or ones I bought myself. They all have guinea pig written on them so that my parents know they're not using a peed on towel!
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happyI sprinkle baking soda religiously between all of my layers--its a tremendous help
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happylayer 3- fleece of course

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the ideas!!!

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happyhaving a pee pad for the kitchen is a great quick smell fix
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happyI use odor lock garbage bags and twisting it up like that keeps odors inside.I usually put the daily spot clean poop and hay in here, but I sometimes flush it
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happy I like to put baking soda on top of the huts to absorb odors. But only on huts that are too tall for them to climb on of course :)
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happymy odor blocking supplies lol deodorizing cage wipes, odor lock garbage bags, air fresheners, a spray bottle with baking soda mixed with water, baking soda, and one of those motion detected automatic air fresheners
Keeping smell down and keeping parents happythese little things are worth their weight in gold! Especially the one on the right, the super odor killer!!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use the air fresheners or Febreeze in the room with the guinea pigs.

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
@pinky I was wondering about that. My mom has a really sensitive nose, and the smell of most air fresheners really irritate her. Considering that a piggy's nose is probably far more sensitive, the air fresheners might irritate them, too.
Great ideas with using the baking soda, though, @aeiou. :) I should try sprinkling some between the layers of my fleece and towels. How heavily do you put it on?

aeiou

Cavy Slave
It's not febreeze just a spray bottle with baking soda/water mix that I use to clean the coro and the air fresheners are in the hallway right outside my room because my parents room is at the end of the hall! Sorry I forgot to mention that!

And I fill my hand and sprinkle it around between each layer

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use the Renuzit, either. @PrincessPiggy is correct about it being an irritant. I get an asthmatic reaction from air fresheners. Guinea pigs are very sensitive so it could be harmful to them. The baking soda is fine as long as they can't eat or lick it.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have used the renuizit but not in the pig/dinning room. I have sprayed the carpets with febreeze for pet odors in the same room.

Kristine

Cavy Slave
Being someone who is really sensitive to smells, I agree about not using air fresheners. It triggers my allergies, I can only imagine what my piggies would smell. Why cover it when it's easier to prevent it?

The best thing I've found is to totally enclose wet layers, its the urine having access to air that allows the smell to permeate the room. I enclose my absorbent layer between fleece and it works wonderfully as the urine is tucked away inside. I had the worst issues with smell when I used towels under the fleece.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Gps are sensitive to such products. My gp hates fragrances around her so I use no dye/fragrance laundry soap, hand soap, and dish soap.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
@lunarmix that's my routine haha
@Kristine how is your fleece set up?

PhinniePig

Cavy Slave
I use a bamboo charcoal bag

(broken link removed)

I find, personally, that this really helps suck up smells. I put it on top of their pigloo. They havent been able to get to it at all. Has anyone else tried these?

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I haven't but I've heard of things like it

Kristine

Cavy Slave
@aeiou I sew mine into fleece liners. Fleece/cotton batting x2/fleece. (Cotton batting thats used in quilts is similar to uhaul pads)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.