Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethals Questions?????

missnickelback

Cavy Slave
Hi, I was just wondering if someone had a white guinea pig with a gray ear or a white guinea pig with a gray spot on her back would she be more likely to have a lethal than a guinea pig that is like brown or a different color than white?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any pig that has any white on it at all can be carrying the lethal gene, but most do not. Roan pigs, in which the white color is on the same hairs as the other color, and dalmatians, which look sort of like dalmatian dogs, are far more likely to have lethal offspring.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Any pig that has any white on it at all can be carrying the lethal gene, but most do not. Roan pigs, in which the white color is on the same hairs as the other color, and dalmatians, which look sort of like dalmatian dogs, are far more likely to have lethal offspring.

@bpatters - what do you mean by "lethal"?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@bpatters - what do you mean by "lethal"?

I'm curious too. My girl has white fur on her too. I've never heard of a lethal gene. Is it like they are inbred and so they are more apt to get diseases that can shorten their lives?

missnickelback

Cavy Slave
Thanks that answers my question:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.