Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My piggies have rejected timothy hay!

piggiepigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Some pigs won't touch different types of hay. Mine don't touch alfalfa, even though they only get it a few times a month. Keep putting a handful in their cage each day; they may nibble it, they may not.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
They're probably just used to the meadow hay. Try mixing some of the timothy in with their old hay, and see what happens. If they eat it, then after a few days, put less and less meadow hay in until there isn't any left, and it's just Timothy. It might work.

Another idea. If they don't eat it, then just keep setting some in their cage, they'll probably get used to it.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I originally posted that my piggies hated the blue grass hay I ordered. They wouldn't touch it. After a few days with no choice but to eat that or nothing they finally gave in and now they eat it happily.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
what is the difference between blue grass hay and timothy??

aqh88

Cavy Slave
For one I'm not allergic to bluegrass. The bluegrass generally feels softer to me and it doesn't have any seed heads. It seems less dusty and doesn't break into little pieces as much which is what mostly bothers my allergies. Nutritionally there isn't enough difference to mention and as for the difference in flavor you'd have to ask the guinea pigs. My pigs won't eat hay from a new source for the first week or 2 even if it's the same type of hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.