Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello(:

Blaze

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forums, but, have been browsing here for a couple of months now. My name is Gabriel, or Gabe, and it's my first time owning a guinea pig. I got my first guinea pig, Blaze, about five months ago. She's great and all, sometimes still a little skittish, shy, and I guess scared. She eats well, drinks her water, has the proper amount of Vitamin C intake, and loves her veggies. Researching and learning a bit about guinea pigs beforehand, I figured that I would get Blaze a companion. Blaze is a female cavy, so I knew to get another female. I bought Blaze, so I wanted to adopt my next one. I adopted her a couple hours ago, and seem to be having some trouble. Mostly with the introducing part. I gave her some time alone to get used to the surroundings and whatnot, so I figured time to introduce Blaze to her. I gave them their room in a C&C enclosed cage, putting them at opposite ends. At first, they didn't seem to notice, or maybe just didn't care for the other's presence. After a bit, they did notice, and Blaze approached my new piggy. They did the sniffing, around the butt area too, and after a bit, the mounting started. My newly adopted piggy, who I have yet to name, is larger than Blaze so she was trying more, and Blaze was sort of resisting. So, they basically were going in circles trying to see who would eventually be able to get on top. Afterwards, is when I started getting worried. I knew and read about the whole dominance thing, but between them, I was a little afraid. There starting to be the teeth chattering, or whatever it's called, and some fighting, I guess, but I made sure to break them up when it seemed bad. I let them be again, there was still chattering and then they went at it again. This second time seemed bad. There was some hair loss on both ends, and what really worried me, was that the new cavy got a little injured. Her lip it seems (Maybe a little to the side of it), was a little bit or scratched, and it got kind of cut. It wasn't dripping blood, but there was a little beneath the wound. I applied a little flour though, to increase the clotting speed. I just want to ask you guys and gals here, where do I go from here? I don't believe it to be a life-risking injury. Also, do I try to introduce them again tonight? I wanted to place them in the same cage tonight, as the pet store I adopted from said that the new cavy was very sweet and had been living with another one there and was fine. I'm just afraid one of them could get injured. Sorry for the whole huge paragraph, hope you guys can help. Nice to meet everyone.

I just adopted a new piggie as a friend for my first piggie too. I would try to give them time together on a neutral ground, and not in the cage. You may have to do this several times. Also, you could put up a temporary cage divider so they can see each other, but can't hurt one another, until they get use to each other.

question:how big is your cage? if they don't have enough room, they are more likely to fight.

good luck with your piggies :)

*cage divider should be something they can see through, like c&c grids.

You'll also want two of everything: two water bottles/bowls, two pellet dishes, two hay racks , and multiple hideys that have more than one opening so a piggy can escape if they feel trapped.

I have two piggies myself that I'm working on reintroducing. They've been fully separated for a little over two weeks now (started fighting early April) and I'm just starting their reintroductions in a large neutral territory. As they continue to get along, I'm going to increase the time they're out in floor time together, while decreasing the space of the pen (it's quite large right now) My plan then is try them in a new cage (neither have ever seen it) I bought for my parents' house if they continue to get along during floor time.

Here is a helpful site for doing introductions: Guinea Pigs Social Life

It was neutral ground:) I have Blaze in a separate cage that I had bought. It isn't the biggest, going to work on getting some chloroplast. How would I go about my new cavy's little injury? It does seem like her lip was kind of bit and cut a little. It isn't bleeding though. Tomorrow should I attempt re-introduction again? Just worried about their fighting. I'm trying something I read in another thread; placing Blaze in the cage I just had the new cavy in for a while and the new cavy in Blaze's cage. So that they familiarize each other's scents. Then switching them back, and vice versa.

@Mowgs Thank you:) I will be getting another set of everything asap. And go on from there.

What should I do about the injury?

it sounds like the wound will heal on it's own "it's not gushing blood." As long as it's not continually bleeding or hanging open, it should heal on it's own. If you feel like it is serious, you should call a vet.

when you reintroduce them, you should put them in a large space and not in a cage. I put mine in my kitchen. If you're unable to close off your kitchen, you could try a bathroom or bathtub.

First of all, welcome aboard Gabe!

The wound will heal on it's own. Sometimes, it can take multiple introductions before pigs finally get along, and some may never get along, some just put up with one another. Maybe try a buddy bath next. I would introduce them again, but this time try make sure you have lots of hay and veggies to keep them distracted while doing the intro. I would have a good read through The Guinea pig Social Life that @Mowgs has linked. Make sure you don't interfere with them, mounting, teeth chattering and chasing are all dominate behaviors and are 100% normal. Only interfere and separate when blood in drawn. You have mentioned that you currently have the pigs in a pet store cage while searching for coroplast, if this is the case then I would wait until you get a correct size cage before introducing them.
Anyways, I would love to see some pigtures of your girls! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.