Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Bout of diarrhea

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So I took out my girl's oxbow hay tunnel which is hay color and noticed she had a bout of diarrhea. She drank a lot of water and she's ok otherwise, but should I not do veggies today to make sure? She gets bell peppers and green leaf lettuce as staples daily. I can certainly hold the treats of snap peas, tomato, carrot piece...

TIA!

PS She eats her KMS pellets just fine and hay.

Personally, I would stop veggies for a day to see if that does it, then slowly intro them again. Have you started feeding anything new lately?

Personally, I would stop veggies for a day to see if that does it, then slowly intro them again. Have you started feeding anything new lately?

No. Maybe too much lettuce, not sure. I've had her almost 5 months and never had a prob. She is active now, her normal self.

I've never dealt with this is my piggies. I hope someone else with more experience in this area replies for you. Good luck and I hope your piggy gets better soon! :D

I wonder with too much veggies (still a cup) with this really warm weather if that could be the culprit too. I know I have more runs when the weather is very warm when I eat fruits/veggies.... wonder if same with my gp.

Any time they have diarrhea you should stop veggies for a while to see if it clears up. If so, reintroduce them one by one. If not, off to the vet.

Is it true diarrhea (runny, liquid) or is it soft poops?

Is it true diarrhea (runny, liquid) or is it soft poops?

She went in her timothy tunnel by oxbow- this light hay colored tunnel. I saw this big dark brown spot and just tossed it. Can't wash something like this. Went out and bought another one.

Are you sure it wasn't from urine?

Sometimes when pigs sit in one favorite spot, they urinate and poop in it and lie in it. Is it possible that's what's happened?

Are you sure it wasn't from urine?

Sometimes when pigs sit in one favorite spot, they urinate and poop in it and lie in it. Is it possible that's what's happened?
Good thought. I have no idea. The spot was as big as a small pancake and dark brown. I felt it and it was smooth, not like crushed poops. Of course since she did it in her tunnel a lot of it soaked between the strands so I was just left with a dark brown spot. To be safe no veggies today. Tomorrow I'll give her some bell peppers and see if I see anything else. Thanks for the tip. I guess it's not so easy to tell if it's really diarrhea or gp being messy. Her bottom area is all white and no sign of feces anywhere. Maybe she cleaned it well.

Is your pig still having diarrhea?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.