Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Researching cage sizes before I get my pigs! Questions.

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I've never owned Guinea Pigs before, and after all of the research I've done, I'm so, so excited to get a pair of them! I really think they might be the pet for me.. Right now, I have two, three year old Dwarf Hamsters, and one Shih Tzu. Anyway, I was planning on buying some coroplast from a sign shop and getting the typical grids at Wal-mart or a similar store. My question is, is a 2 x 4 cage large enough for two female Guinea Pigs? I'll most likely be adding a loft at some point as well. I figured it wasn't large enough for two males, but I'm wondering if two females can live comfortably together in that size?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Yep! The recommended cage for 2 sows is a 2x4 C&C cage. They might end up needing a larger cage, depending on their personalities and how dominant they are.

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
Is it difficult to expand the cage once it's already assembled? Or do you have to buy new coroplast?

lissie

Cavy Slave
It is not hard to expand. You can tape the new coroplast to the old one.
I like to buy new sheet when I change my cage though. Since the coroplast I get is pretty cheap. (~$20, used to be $10 per sheet)

If you have space, plan for the bigger cage. A 4x8 ft sheet is perfect for a 2x6 cage.

Edit to add: I'm not trying to push the 2x6. A 2x4 is big enough for 2 pigs. Seeing that you asked about expansion, I thought you could save some money by going with the larger cage.

I also hated it when I first taped coro together to expend my cage. One nice long piece is just better in my opinion.

Last edited:

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I have two sows and they're living in a 2x4, now I'm going to build them a 2x6! Reason is because they have some dominance issues to set haha. You can always build a 2x6 first, and if it doesn't work for you you can cut it down to a 2x4. Of course, you could just build a 2x4 now and expand it in the future! And a cage can never be too big~

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
LOL...dominance issues here too. Last week I expanded from a 2x4 to a 2x5 with a 2x2 kitchen loft and a 1x2 bedroom loft. I have two young boys that hit puberty so i am taking the advice of not just adding a loft but making the cage wider. Si I am reducing to a 3x 4 with the kitchen and bedroom loft. My advice is build as big as you can now, its less pain.

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! For being so social, it seems Guinea Pigs get into quite a few fights! Kind of nervous about that...

couchon

Cavy Slave
Personally, I think 2x4 is too small. I know it's up to the standard, but I really think you should go as big as you possibly can. I expanded to a 3x5 for two females as soon as I could, and it's a decent size space. I would still expand if I had room.

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
I'll definitely try to go bigger!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! For being so social, it seems Guinea Pigs get into quite a few fights! Kind of nervous about that...

It reminds me of my two sons when they were young, which was a big difference from the fights I had with my sisters. My ex was like, if you are going to fight, fight outside because if you break moms stuff(knick knacks) we all are in trouble.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.